Sunday 29 May 2016

USA Day 4 Philadelphia

We met the group we would be travelling with last night. There are 14 plus the driver/tour manager. It is a globally representative group with travellers from France, Germany, Switzerland, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa. The only American with us was the driver /manager.  Today we had a long drive to Washington DC (385kms). The minibus was OK unless you had to sit on the back seat for any great length of time. Fortunately I didn't today.




After a couple of hours driving we  stopped in  Philadelphia to visit the Independence National Historic Park and the Liberty Bell. The State house bell now known as the Liberty Bell rang in the tower of Pennsylvania State House. Today the building is called Independence Hall. The bell would ring to call lawmakers to their meetings.
The bell bears the message 'Proclaim Liberty Throughout the Land Unto All the Inhabitants thereof'











Independence Hall
It was in here that the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution were both signed.


Inside the Hall





Tomb of the Unknown Soldier of the American Revolution which is situated in Washington Square.
Two and a half hours is nowhere near enough time for a visit but it was all we had on this whirlwind tour. Driving out of the city we passed the Philadelphia Eagles ground.

I was told, by the guide, that this is a well known baseball team  however it turns out this is an American Football team. So thank you  James
 for putting me right
.
Another 3 hours and we were in Washington DC. We were staying in a lovely hotel with a decent sized swimming pool but not close to the city centre at all, so not much to do. My room mate and I went for a walk  and discovered a park that was originally a battle ground during the civil war. When we returned to the hotel we went for a swim. Hadn't checked the facilities and didn't realise there were no changing rooms or showers in the pool area. Apparently this is common in the States. It did mean going back to our room in our swimming gear!

In the evening we all went out for a meal. A chance to get to know one another a little better.

12 comments:

  1. Just caught up reading about your trip. Sounds like a very good time. I really enjoyed seeing your photos and reading about your adventures. I've lived in this area for a few years but I've been to Washington D.C. once and NYC only a few times. Anyway great trip report!

    P.S. The Eagles are a football team. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed our colonial city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in Philadelphia for a few days but never went on any of the tours, so now you are schooling me in the things I missed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to visit Philadelphia. Someday I'll get there. But until then, I'll enjoy your photos and recap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Independence bell sounds really intetesting pensylvannia is a state where my grandad was born and grew up

    ReplyDelete
  6. No changing rooms? How strange.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great trip to my country... Hope you enjoyed (are enjoying it)....

    Happy Memorial Day. Let's never forget those men and women who served and gave so much for our FREEDOM.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. only 2.5 hours to see Philly! Wow. As spread out as we Americans like things, that's hard to see anything *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Much too short a time in Philladelphia. We had a couple of nights there on our trip. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another city that is on my bucket list! I may have to join a tour to see some of these places. (I'd love to do that, but Bill is not keen on group activities).

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are right about the changing rooms in US hotels. One is expected to use one's own hotel room.
    You are getting to see lots of the top historical places but very quickly and that would be frustrating to me. It looks like you have interesting company, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What company did you travel with? you seem to be going to the same places we did but i guess thats the tourist track. The history is interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.