Sunday 28 June 2015

From Lake Louise to Lake Agnes



Weekend over, so hoping it will not be too busy around Lake Louise as we are going to do a circular walk calling in at the Lake Agnes Tea House. Who could resist this little fella sitting by the banks of Lake Louise. Looks like this chipmunk is so used to tourists and their cameras that he is happy to pose with a flower in his mouth!

We walked around to the other side of the Lake.


Looking back across the Lake towards the Château (Fairmont Hotel) 






The large cliffs towered above us as we reached the streams and rivers that feed the Lake.





As we began to ascend you could see the glacial water  rushing past.





We walked up to the Highline Trail, stopping frequently to admire the views and also the beautiful wild flowers.




























We now had a clear view of Lake Louise below.






Finally we reached Lake Agnes. There was still some ice floating on the top,so I assume it freezes over during the night.







Once here you can have a rest and a cup of tea. There are over 50 flavours served here. As we hadn't come across anyone else walking up we assumed there would be few people at the top. How wrong we were. It was very busy and we had to wait some time to be served. I couldn't understand where everyone (including children) had come from as the climb was quite a strenuous one.




I got my answer as we made our way back down another path. There were the horses that many people had used. It was so much shorter and easier this way with a laid path. However you didn't get the spectacular views that we experienced on the way up.


We were able to get close to the waterfall coming from the Lake.






This is Mirror Lake that we encountered on our descent. Behind it you can see the Beehive mountain.






















We were soon back. An exhilarating walk for my last day in the mountains. Tomorrow we are driving to Calgary to pick up a flight to Vancouver. There is something very special about the scenery here in the Rockies and I will carry these memories with me forever.



17 comments:

  1. Another gorgeous post from Lake Louise and the Canadian Rockies. The mountains and lake are just beautiful. Lovely images, thanks for sharing your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We visited that tea house you speak of. Was so worth the hike to get there for. The mountains and scenery are gorgeous, thanks for reminding me what I am missing since moving from the area. Lake Louise is a beautiful area. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The views must make this a trip of a lifetime. I'm flabbergasted by them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous landscape ! I love these little chipmunks I saw them in the USA they even sat on my hand !

    ReplyDelete
  5. The landscape is wonderful - two seasons

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pictures today are just spectacular, even better than the ones before. But I sure do love that cute cheeky chipmunk! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning scenery. I would like to sit and enjoy the spot from your second photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the hike. We did see Lake Louise but not up to Lake Agnes. What spectacular scenery you captured.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful place! I loved that hike when I visited Banff in 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a stunning images of the mountains. As in the previous post, too. And none of the reflection can not really win this outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must have been more satisfying to take the hard way then on a horse. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beauty. Ahhhh. I won't to pack a bag and head up there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You even had a chipmunk pose for a photo? What did I do wrong?

    That glacier water looks freezing and wild even on the photos. Wouldn't like tumbling in that at all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What views! Well worth the climb, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! I would call that a hike, a little more than a strenuous walk!!! (But then I haven't "walked" across England twice... Heck it was probably a walk in the park for you ;)))

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a wonderful place. It's somewhere I've always wanted to go.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous experience. When we visited Lake Louise it was only overnight and it was too cold to walk far. Thanks for showing me what I missed. It must have been a tough climb. The scenery magic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.