Friday 15 May 2015

Reflections of Tin Pan Alley


Tin Pan Alley or to give it its correct name Denmark Street is off Charing Cross Road near Soho. In the 50s and 60s this short street was the centre of the UK music industry. The most important music magazines at that time, The Musical Express and the Melody Maker had their head offices here and the recording studios on the street were used by The Kinks, Rolling Stones and Elton John




Close to Tin Pan Alley there is major redevelopment happening and it is unlikely that this street will remain. A few shops and the 12 bar club closed at the end of last year. So marks the beginning of the end of a little bit of musical history.












There are more guitar shops around the corner on Charing Cross Road.



23 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm still reflecting on some of those price tags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics. Sad to see this little important street change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be a shame to lose those shops. I like the guitars in the windows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a shame to lose that piece of history!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It a pity to lose the history. As apathetic as Australians can be a times, I think here musicians here would be campaigning to save the area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad such a huge bit of history has to change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting to know, a pity that it changed so much !

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sad it has to go, it is a historical place that should be preserved in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know Tin Pan Alley was a real place. I hope your feet are all recovered by now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool reflections and guitars!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope they keep some kind of memorabilia of the area .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am all for progress...but hate sometimes for things to change!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Save this post .. It may be valuable for music history majors ... And music lovers ... In future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too bad this piece of history has to go. I thought TinPsn Alley was in New York City -- didn't realize Britain had one, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.