Friday 14 November 2014

Reflections in Penrith








This is Penrith, a market town in the county of Cumbria, NW England. It is just a couple of miles outside the Lake District national park. It was a dull rainy day when I visited a few weeks ago, creating a few reflections on the wet pavements and roads.





The George hotel has a long history as a coaching inn. Penrith was on the main route from England to Scotland and in 1745 during the Jacobite uprising 'The Young Pretender or Bonnie Prince Charlie' Prince Charles Edward Stuart stayed here on his march South. If you want to know more about the Jacobite uprising click here









Just on the edge of the town are the remains of Penrith Castle built at the end of the 14th century. It was built to defend the area against the Scots.







Sharing with James at Weekend Reflections

14 comments:

  1. I love puddle reflections in wet pavement! I think I was at Penrith Castle about 40 years ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, I see it has been raining with you also but that gave you these good reflections. Fantastic castle ruins. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a nice place to visit...but maybe better on a blue-sky day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an interesting place ! and I like reflections in rainy Streets , it's very romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. superbe endroit merci du partage ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute little town, and those old castle remains are fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a step back in time, like to wander round the castle

    ReplyDelete
  8. There seems to be many castles in ruins in England where you can just wander around them. Given they are in a progressive state of collapse, I wonder what the danger is to the public.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The ruins are quite spooky with that gray sky and rain. If there are ghosts, it would be a good time to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful old ruins. Thanks for bringing me along. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damp streets with colored reflections - lovely!
    I really like the ruins.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The town looks beautiful, but the weather awful, but at least you had some reflections!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Visiting Penrith in your compagny is a true delight, dear... Thanks for sharing the tour. I specillay enjoy the ruins, they look so ghosty like... ^^

    ReplyDelete
  14. In my experience it's always like that in Penrith! Although I have had some rather fine later afternoon tea and cues there!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne.

    PS: sorry for slow reply, I've been away from home because of work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.