Monday 8 July 2024

Sewing machine museum

 When I visited Tooting Bec for my 'Above the Underground' challenge, I came across this museum. I'd never heard of a sewing machine museum before. Anyway it is only open for a couple of hours on the first Saturday of the month. So last Saturday as I was in the area I decided to have a look.



It turned out to be far more interesting than I expected. 
There were loads of machines everywhere. All neatly labelled. Many types I recognised from my youth but others I wouldn't even know they were sewing machines.

Ruston had started a small business in the 1900s repairing and selling sewing machines. He kept any unusual machines or ones that had an interesting story. Eventually these machines were put on display in his shop. This is the original frontage of his first shop














This one was owned by Queen Victoria. I doubt she ever used it except as a plaything.





 








It is this museum that has provided sewing machines for historical dramas and films including Downton Abbey. It also sourced all the sewing machines for the 'All Saints' shop  window displays. It is free to visit the museum and there is a very interesting talk and tour included.

9 comments:

  1. Those machines are works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The figurines look so aged and cultural

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can remember plenty of treadle sewing machines around when I was young but I never saw any family member ever use one. It was a bit of fun to sit there without the machine engaged and see how fast you could make the big wheel spin. It's a wonder we never lost a finger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An important museum.

    I have fond memories of my mum sitting at her Singer sewing machine.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandma had an old Singer machine ! I landed up in a museum for old irons ! Imagine how interesting for somebody who never irons ! The old sewing machines are nice to look at, but I am not inspired at all !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Normally I would not be very interested in sewing machines, but my grandfather's story made the topic very personal. My grandfather's parents were both killed in the Ukrainian pogroms, leaving the youngest 5 children without care givers. My grandfather (11) and his younger brother (9) were given jobs in a Singer Sewing Factory, together working on one machine. Eventually Mrs Singer, mother of 10 children of her own, took my two relatives into her home as foster children. Although they never finished primary school, they were grateful for the rest of their lives to the Singer family and company.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an amazing story. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who would think there were so many different makes of sewing machine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some of those look very complicated contraptions! I wouldn't know where to start on them. But good that their history is being preserved.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.