Friday 5 January 2024

Urban walk

 My first walk of the year was a five mile one lead by a new leader in our u3a Rambling Group. We like to have a variety of walks to cater for our different interests. I do guided walks mainly in Central London as well as country walks in Kent. 

We have tried to persuade members of the group to lead maybe just one or two walks a year and share their favourite walks. So today Kate showed us one of her local walks.


12 of us set off through the high rise blocks of Lewisham.

A heron was spotted next to a large pond in the middle of a housing estate. The walk took us across Blackheath and then onto the Thames Path.

The pigeons loved the old pier.



The first snowdrops of the year


The snowdrops were blooming around the base of  this mulberry tree. It is thought that the tree was planted in 1698 by the Tsar Peter the Great who visited this area at that time. during his visit to England. It was a very enjoyable walk to start off another year of u3a rambles.







13 comments:

  1. The old piers still look interesting. Which one is this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the name but it is on thecSouth bank of the Thames between Greenwich and Deptford.

      Delete
  2. I like that old pier too. Looks unusual

    ReplyDelete
  3. The snowdrops seem very early, but maybe they aren't. If true, that mulberry is seriously old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Signs of spring already? Looks like a nice walk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So can you walk on the pier or has it been closed off for safety reasons. Never seen a Mulberry tree though

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes there are such nice things to see around where we live but we are always looking for going as far as possible ! I started walking again, and it works, now with my beautiful park there is a lot to discover. Unfortunately the weather is so bad, always rain. So I haunt the castle corridors they are very long too !

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't have snowdrops yet. It's pretty cold here just yet. If I lived near you I would lead a bird walk but the participants might all need a pair of bins to fully enjoy. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea to walk in a group and do different favourite walks of members. Always some new path to explore. Enjoy your week and have a fabulous 2024 and thankyou for visiting my blog this week

    ReplyDelete
  9. A nice walk ...
    So lovely to see snowdrops.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello old friend! Janey from Ft. Worth here. I just pulled up my old blog and couldn't believe that someone actually left a comment. Seems when you end a blog you are so quickly forgotten. In answer to your question we loved our Camino. Did the last 115km in 9 days. Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. Forwarded our bags and only carried day packs. Really proud of ourselves. Tom 83 and I'm 77. ...and not even a blister.Perfect weather too.
    Happy to see that you are still hiking! Thanks again for leaving me a message.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish I had a walking group like that here! Lewisham is a famililar name -- I think it was a place where we occasionally went to do some shopping when (such a long time ago now) we spent that time in (greater) London, but we didn't take time to see the hidden beauties to be seen on an urban walk. (I love taking that kind of walk where we live, it feels great to "discover" these treasures.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Herons are very opportunistic and if there is food to be had they will find it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.