Thursday 7 December 2023

UFO Bratislava


The Most SNP is a bridge over the Danube built in the late 60s. At one end is a restaurant and observation tower known as UFO. 

On our last day in Bratislava the weather cleared and we decided to view the city from the UFO tower. There is a lift and then a staircase taking you to the observation area above the restaurant. What I hadn't expected was it being in the open air. All other observation towers I have been up, you are protected by glass windows. The shock of stepping out to.be confronted by high winds up there took my breath away. Obviously there is a wall surrounding the area but I didn't feel that comfortable. Clinging onto my hat I quickly took some photos and then went back down to the next level which was the restaurant.
The views were excellent. This view looks back over to the old town with the castle on the hill.

A number of river cruise boats moored on the Danube allowing the passengers to disembark for a day trip to the town.



 Looking in the opposite direction towards Austria. Vienna is less than an hour's drive away.




Can see more bridges over the river.


Warming up in the restaurant. A much more comfortable way to admire the views.



10 comments:

  1. We must have cruised through Bratislava when we cruised the Danube, but I can't remember it. Maybe our boat didn't stop there. It looks like it should have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely but yes I would have enjoyed the view more from the comfort of the restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you get to the castle? I remember that bridge and our river cruise boat would have been docked where you captured others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The castle was built in the perfect spot, both for strategic reasons but more for visitors' amazing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great views from the restaurant.
    A lovely smile from you :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great - I have a bit of a fondness for snow and cold! (So why do I live in Australia!)
    Hope all is well. Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reminds me of my cruise on the Danube, which was not ideal for me because I had mostly to stay on board, so I saw not much, fortunately I had seen most of the cities just before the Covid with the Expats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure I commented here, has it gone into spam folder?

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.