Thursday 6 October 2022

Walter Sickert

 Walter Sickert (1860-1942) was a German born British artist moving to England with his family at the age of eight. He was recognised as one of the most important artists of the 20th century, helping to shape modern British art. He was a founding member of the New English Art Club and the leader of the Camden Town Group. I recently visited an exhibition of his work at the Tate Britain and here are just a few of his works.

 


 


  




 


Despite his association with the Camden Town Group of artists who took their subjects from the streets of the London district, Sickert rarely depicted the streets of London itself.  'Easter'  depicts Dawson Brothers, a linen-drapers shop on City Road close to Old Street tube station. The shop was in business from the 1840s until the late 20th C. Sickert has painted the almost disserted street at night illuminated by a window display of  Easter bonnets.

 


The Camden  Town Murder was the name given to a real event: the murder of Emily Dimmock in Camden in 1907. The murder attracted huge press attention. Sickert took advantage of the interest and controversy raised by giving some of his paintings titles that allude to the murder. He also reworked them and gave them alternative titles. This allowed the viewer to imagine different narratives and relationships between the figures in their different configurations rather than any kind of illustration of Dimmock's murder. The series has long intrigued audiences because of the ambiguity between title and subject matter. For Sickert, these works furthered his exploration of narrative painting. However, some people are critical of the potential for violence they see within the scenes.

Information from the Guide to the exhibition: Tate Britain


St Mark's Venice


The facade of St Jacques, Dieppe


I did enjoy the exhibition. This is just a small example of the works on display. I was surprised by his range of subject matter from landscapes, portraits, music halls and entertainers to his fascination with narrative painting and reinventing the 'conversation piece'. 


11 comments:

  1. I agree that the Camden Town Group of artists took their subjects from the streets of the London district while Sickert rarely depicted the London streets he knew so well. Perhaps the reason was that Sickert was often proposed as the real killer, known as Jack the Ripper.
    Thanks for the link
    Hels
    https://melbourneblogger.blogspot.com/2022/05/walter-sickerts-victorian-art-vice.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating information about an interesting character. Thanks for your post and great pictures and commentary. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly an eye-opening collection of wonderful arts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the Dieppe one is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pleased you enjoyed the exhibition, any thanks for sharing it here.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. She in the second photo has a very wicked look to her. I wasn't familiar with his work, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing all of this. Lots of interesting info.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting about the title changes to accommodate current events of the time.
    I like to view art by studying a work for myself to see what it says to me before I read the title. Often I have a different interpretation, one I like better! I’d love to see this exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed the Facade painting. Somehow the two women standing in the street of some odd buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for introducing me to this artist. I hadn't heard of him before. He sure did have a variety of subjects. I like how he evokes emotion.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.