Thursday 5 August 2021

Devon

 I am on holiday in Devon this week with my daughter and grandchildren. We have rented this beautiful house overlooking the village of Westward Ho! Yes it really does have an exclamation mark after its name. The name comes from the title of Charles Kingsley's novel Westward Ho! (1855) which was set in nearby Bideford.



This is the view from the back of the house.












From the front of the house we have a view of the beach so we can tell when the tide is out which is handy.




It's a lovely sandy beach,  perfect for the children .








The only downside is that I broke my foot the second day we were here! I was just taking the recycling out to the bin and missed a step.  Very efficient A and E hospital in the local town of Barnstable with wonderful staff who got me upright again with the aid of an air boot. So grateful they didn't put me in a plaster cast as having to use crutches is a pain. This is the third time I have broken a metatarsal. Twice on the left foot and once on the right.

I feel so sorry for my daughter who is supposed to be having a rest instead of which she is having to do all the driving and running around after the children.




12 comments:

  1. well I do know how that feels have wore one myself, at least it does not stop you enjoying your holiday apart from being able to paddle

    ReplyDelete
  2. You poor lady!! I've also worn boots, always at inconvenient times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks idyllic, gorgeous even. So sorry about your foot and it means no long walks I suppose. You must return to the same place soon with a fit foot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful area. Ouch on the foot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The nicest part of the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no that was a bummer. Similar to when I went on holidays in the mountains and broke my ankle. Hope you don't have too many stairs in that lovely house. The beach looks a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a really nice place to holiday, the beach looks lovely, sorry about your foot though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear you broke your foot, but what a lovely place to rest and convalesce. I hope you won’t have to wear the big foot too long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I hope your foot isn't too painful and it doesn't spoil things too much. I'm sure your daughter will appreciate the change of scenery even if it's not as restful as she imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What? Oh no -- I'm so sorry about the foot. Ouch. Hope you are recovering and not in pain. And i'm sure your daughter knows you're doing what you can and I'm sure you are still helping by being an extra pair of eye and entertaining as needed for the grands. Take care. That really is a stunning vacation home location.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks a beautiful area, lovely to see your photographs.
    I was sorry to read about your foot, sending healing thoughts and good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was really bad luck. Such a wonderful house to stay in with the glorious weather.

    Just go easy on the G&T next time - exclamation mark.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.