Thursday 3 June 2021

A decade of blogging

 The idea of a blog occurred to me  when I decided to write a bucket list prior to retirement in 2011. A photographic record and a description of places I might visit seemed a much better idea than shelves of photo albums. Little did I realise how much the blog would mean to me. Looking back at my posts, it is an accurate and detailed record of my retirement with many things I would have forgotten had I not written about them. I didn't really think I would continue it for ten years, but here I am now writing two blogs and thinking about the next ten years.  I wrote that bucket list thinking that some things were beyond reality such as walking in Darwin's footsteps or snorkelling above The Great Barrier Reef. More were physical challenges like walking the Thames Path or walking from one side of England to the other. Putting them in writing was the motivation I needed to work out a way to make them a possibility. Here are just a few of the places I have visited this past decade.

White water rafting in Costa Rica

Migration of the Monarch butterfly in Mexico


Australia




A Singapore Sling in Raffles, Singapore


              Snorkelling in the Galapagos and the mating dance of the blue footed Boobie.








New York


Canadian Rockies




Cycling in Russia



The Grand Canyon

Out of the 100 things on the list I have completed 80; another two are ongoing ( conversational Spanish and Above the underground challenge); two were cancelled due to Covid 19 (climbing Scafell Pike and visiting Monet's garden). Some I realise will be impossible such as trying to complete a round of golf in less than 80 strokes or waving a flag at the last night of the proms. Others I have lost interest in wanting to achieve. With the impact of climate change and Covid 19  the world and my perspective of it is different.  I will endeavour to travel more by train than by air and it is unlikely that I will be doing that many long haul flights but I am still hoping to continue with my adventures.



21 comments:

  1. I so admire your sense of adventure! Checking off a list is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on ten years of adventuring - and here's to the next ten!!! And the bits you've lost interest in?? Replace them with train travel adventures instead of air travel adventures??

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've certainly enjoyed a variety of experiences over these last ten years.
    Lovely blog post and photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've had a great 10 years of retirement. May there be many more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on 10 years of blogging and completing 80 items on your bucket list! Very impressive indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite a milestone. Hard to pick a favourite among these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your decade of public performing. I'd forgotten so many places you have been. You can be described as well travelled and that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you enjoy Raffles in Singapore? I read so much history around the old British Empire that Raffles seems an important place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are certainly well travelled - congrats on the 80 out of 100. Hope you have at least 10 more years of adventures

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the 80% achievement! That is fantastic and deserving of a round of applause (clap clap clap).

    I agree with you on what interests now and what may interest you in another ten years: life changes and you with it. But I hope you find other interests to fill those spots (I bet your list is about the same size now again) and that you will be able to do all those things and blog about them.

    As for the travelling itself: I want to return to Vienna where I was with my sister 5 years ago, but they have now reinstated a night train from Amsterdam to Vienna. No plane for me then!

    Happy blogging, happy travelling and happy 70's!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you are doing great with your bucket list, 80 out of 100 is awesome. You may have to make a new bucket list, adding on more places.
    Beautiful places and wonderful memories and photos. Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I started blogging in 2006 !And you are right it's so intresting you get another eye on the world and you are contact with so many nationalities. I have never been to Singapor or Australia and I don't know if I still will be able to travel so far ! The only thing which I want to do even half dead it's the Northern Lights on a cruise ! That's physically not so tiring ! I will be 78 in a month And for the moment I feel like 150 !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad you started blogging and that it is now available to all of us to go and revisit some of your adventures. Blogging fulfills many desires for me, like getting to keep on writing, even if only a few of us read it all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, Marie, on 10 years of blogging and 80 out of 100 items checked off on your list! I think I have been along for eight of the 10 years of your adventures and blog. Since we have been vaccinated and may be able to travel again I have started rethinking the items remaining on my bucket list, too. It’s sad and hard to give up on some but others are just not as appealing any more after what we have been through. Anyway, here’s to many more years of adventures and blog friends!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some awesome photos there, I've only visited Australia once and that was to Brisbane about 20 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow you have done so many things since you retired. I should check my list. We've slowed down now and Covid stopped overseas travel. I have printed my blog each year into a book with "Blog2Print" program. I really enjoyed reading them when we were in lockdown last year. They become a picture diary.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots more things to do I hope - like you, I like the way blogs act as a diary, but so much more as well.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an impressive travel log, and congratulations on ten years!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ...you sure get around!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done.. Thanks for sharing your travels/photos

    ReplyDelete
  21. a decade seems to long time. In ral life it is not long. Yet you made a lot of it. You let the blog inspire you to do it, not just dream it. That´s great. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.