Friday 21 February 2020

Walk around Downe

This is the first walk  that I have done, since we've had the storms, which have left a lot of damage and floods in their wake.
Saw lots of snowdrops.
This tree had fallen across the pathway but fortunately it was easy to get climb over.





What wasn't so easy was the mud! Because of brambles etc you need to keep to the paths but hauling yourself through the deep mud was energy sapping. You also needed to watch what you were doing as the last thing you want is to end up on your backside in the mud.
The walk took me through the village of Downe. There are a couple of pubs and cafes so you can stop off for refreshments if you want. I was only doing a short walk of 5 miles so I continued on my way.  Charles Darwin chose to live in Downe when he moved his family from London in 1842. It was here that he worked on his book 'On the origin of species' .









The village church of St Mary which dates from the 13th century.
Interesting place for seating.


My return walk was mainly through woodland and lots more mud. These trees must have come down in the last storm as they have  not yet been made safe.






I cleaned my boots in a puddle before changing out of them but they are going to need much more cleaning when I get home.

21 comments:

  1. The woods are soaked with water and mud indeed. At least we have no floods here as I saw in the UK on television. It is a strange winter with high temperatures, scary....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The water does not seem to be going away. Our nearby pond that had all but dried out now looks like a pond again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our back lawn is almost like that muddy path, any more rain and it willl be

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, everywhere is so muddy!
    So nice to see the snowdrops.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blue clock face noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's more mud than we get, even with all our rain. Not good to land either on your backside OR your frontside in that mud! Thanks for the great pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a brave and intrepid hiker ! I’m so impressed. I didn’t walk this morning because it was raining (a tiny bit and it was 70 F. ..and I have an asphalt path. Should have read you first, it would have inspired me to go anyway )).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect timing, thank you! I am reading quite a lot about Charles Darwin and his book On the Origin of Species. But no-one mentioned Downe. So now I have a whole new insight on Darwin seeking privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are waiting for the next storm called Helen ! So far it hasn't arrived yet and it's Saturday noon. Seems that you have the same awful weather then we have ! I don't go out only if I have too !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mud is no fun to walk through. I have a hike to share we did in WV week before last. Are you getting in shape for another hike with your walking friends?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had heard about the storm and wondered how you all had fared. Lots of mud and trees down.
    That seating area was interesting. Can't say as I'd enjoy sitting in the midst of traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No sure how you walked through that mud. I would love to walk with you....That storm play havoc in France and The Netherlands too. Goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are keen to take on such a muddy walk. The town looks quaint. We've had lots of rain too and made the forest tracks muddy so we change route and walk on a concrete path through a different nearby park.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The snow drops are memories from childhood. Lovely.

    The boots at the end of the past say so much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sorry: I did not see a path! I hope you had waterproof boots on, as that looks quite serious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've heard about your storms & flooding. Hope it all moves out soon
    Thanks for allowing me to go along with you today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have boots just like that. Well, a little larger size but just as muddy. Afraid I haven't followed in the footsteps of Charles Darwin but that would be rather special.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, I hope your boots were waterproof. Looks like a very muddy trail. I like the views of the town and church. Enjoy your day, have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow ~ lovely photos despite the storm damage ~ take care of those boots ~ Wow!

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yikes - muddy! Lovely to see the snowdrops.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.