Wednesday 18 September 2019

Titanic Belfast

Today I wanted to have a look round Belfast. It was another sunny morning so I walked across town to the Titanic Museum. The Museum opened in 2012 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the liner's sinking. The building's six storey, aluminium facade reflects the lines of the ship.

Considering there are not that many artefacts in existence I felt the museum had done an excellent job using modern technology to take you back to that time in history. There are nine different galleries, unfortunately I did not have my camera on an appropriate setting so the photos are poor.




At the time the Titanic was built, Belfast had one of the biggest shipbuilding docks in the world. White Star Liners were the owners of Titanic.




The Harland and Wolff shipyard was the only one that could build a ship the size of the Titanic. Once through these original gates there is an interactive gallery to give you an idea of the skills needed by the workforce and the difficulties they encountered.


A ride takes you through the shipyard. Video projections  help you imagine the cramped conditions and physicality of the workers.
One of the original tickets issued for the official launch on 31st May 2011


A 3D tour takes you from the boiler room in the depths of the ship and up through the different floors ending up on the bridge of the ship.










An example of a 1st class cabin. This was one of the most luxurious and expensive state rooms on the Titanic.


A time line of its maiden voyage.

In 1907 the White Star Line transferred its express steamers from their home port of Liverpool to Southampton. The Hampshire port with rail links to London and easy access to and from the Continent meant considerably reduced journey times for travellers. Another significant advantage  over Liverpool was Southampton's unusual double tide giving an extended period of high water and greatly expanding the use of the port particularly for large ocean going vessels.



Before WW1 Queenstown was Ireland's  most important mail and passenger port. Thousands left each year for life in the 'New World'.



Letters were posted here being the last stop before New York.



I travelled from Liverpool on Monday by the 12 o'clock train and arrived on Ward at 10pm feeling pretty tired. I am very well and am gradually getting settled in my new cabin which is larger than my last. This seems all the time as if it were the Olympic. I like it very much. I am a member of the Club now which is an advantage. Be sure to let me know how father gets on with his club. I was glad to get away from Liverpool as usual and don't intend to go up for a month or two. I found my two trunks unlocked and 5 or 6 dollars stolen out of my pocket book.
I hope none of my stamps have been stolen. Did I have my old portmanteau when I borrowed the kit bag? I think not.
With fondest love
John











                                                     




                                                          1st class menu

At 11.40pm on 14th April 1912 the Titanic hit an iceberg. In this gallery are the last messages made from the Liner.






Over a hundred years later it is still difficult to read the personal stories of the survivors about the heroic efforts of the crew and the orchestra that continued to play as the ship was sinking.
Outside the City Hall is a Titanic Memorial.



It has the names of all those who lost their lives that day.


This sculpture in East Belfast celebrates the history and achievements of the shipbuilding workforce.  It is a tribute to all the yardmen who worked at Harland and Wolff shipyard  producing 1700 large ships, the most famous being the Titanic.


12 comments:

  1. Haunting is what comes to mind seeing these photos... especially the panels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The letters and photos really bring that disaster to the forefront. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing the inside of the museum which as you know we did not have an opportunity to see. The 'nice building' in my post is obviously the City Hall. I was astonished to hear via a tv quiz show that the first overseas port of call for Titanic was Cherbourg. It is not the direction I thought she headed on her maiden voyage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was there early last year with my sister and it was worth every penny! Did you visit the little boat outside as well? The tender?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it is heartbreaking to realise what the passengers went through. I saw the museum only from the outside, thanks for showing me the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, wonderful tour of the museum. The memorial with all the names is solemn. The sculptures are beautiful. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fascinating museum. I would have loved to visit it, but your description makes me feel almost as if I did. Thank you so much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those letters and messages really make it real. Hard to imagine such an enormous tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a tragic episode in history. Thanks for sharing a museum I'll never get to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The architecture of the building is very interesting. I saw the traveling exhibit in Minneapolis years ago and it had very similar artifacts. It was very moving. When you entered, you were given a ticket and “became” one of the passengers, and at the end it was revealed if you survived or not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very interesting museum. Those letters and messages really are most special.
    I thought the sculptures were very good.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.