Thursday 6 June 2019

Steam train



This is the train station in Douglas, the capital of the Isle of Man. We were waiting for a train to take us to Port Erin. This is no ordinary train, this is a 3ft gauge steam railway which opened in 1873 and still operates today.











We watched the engine being brought back along the tracks to be attached to the carriages.






Time to board the train.
The inside of carriages reminded me of the steam trains of my youth.

Remember the leather straps that open and close the windows?



The signal box.




Lovely views of the coast

We stopped at a number of stations.









It took about an hour to get to Port Erin, the terminus.

A bigger town than we thought with a sandy beach. It was a warm, sunny afternoon when we visited and we enjoyed just sitting in the sunshine looking out to sea.



14 comments:

  1. A train right out of the past. What a fun trip that had to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally delightful! I loved the entire trip along with you. Amazing that it is still functioning. Thank you for sharing this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the steam engine and the vintage coaches. What a throwback but very appropriate to the need. Thank you for taking us along on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a nice trip and how good that the weather was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been on a steam train for a few years, it's quite an experience, isn't it? The beach looks fabulous, I think I would have had to walk on it after sitting a bit in the sun :)
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!

    You noted that the steam railway opened in 1873 but you didn't note if the stations have been restored back to their original designs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like those old trains, going back in time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing it’s still in service, and what a fun way to travel! I love your photos with all the steam coming out like a cloud around the train.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! I always love train journey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always enjoy going on steam train rides …
    This is a lovely post, very nice photographs.
    … and you had good weather too!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...I'm impressed by how clean the area looks, not something that I see along rail lines here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guy I knew came from the IOM and he got me Nigel Mansells autograph on a first day cover. Did you know Nigel used to be a special constable on the IOM

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your adventurous spirit. Maybe you'd like to check out my blog "Accidently Aging". It's all about getting the most out of life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.