Sunday 2 June 2019

Snaefell




This is the Snaefell Mountain Railway in the Isle of Man. Snaefell is the Island's only mountain at 2036 ft (621m). The name Snaefell comes from the Norse for Snow Mountain. The  electric railway  has been in operation since 1895 and is the only one in the British Isles. The line is 3 1/2ft gauge covering 5 miles with a steep incline of 1 in 12 running on a 53 chain line. It has a centre line  to aid braking. Much of the rolling stock is original from the Victorian era.

The Railway doesn't operate in the winter as the overhead wires are taken down on the exposed part of the route to avoid damage from icing.

There is only one tram at a time going up or coming down. The seats inside are very narrow and it is a tight squeeze to fit two people onto the seats. The backs of the seats can be moved so you can choose which way you would like to face.

On the way you can see the Great Laxey wheel and mines. The area was rich in lead ore as well as zinc and silver ore.



Mining here began in the late 18th century. When it was at the height of production in 1854, the Great Laxey Wheel was constructed to pump water out of the mines The wheel could pump 250 gallons of water every minute from the mines some 180m away and 460 metres below ground.

The mine closed in 1929.


The track crosses a road. This road is used for one of the most famous events on the Island, the TT races. The road course is one of the fastest courses for motor bikes in the world. The races happen during the first week in June and so they were preparing the course when we were there. The corners of buildings and walls were all being padded with straw.

I assume this bridge is to allow spectators of the races to get from one side of the road to another.

There is a cafe up at the top which is just as well as the wind was howling when we reached the top making it difficult to stand up.









In fact I decided not to try and reach the marker at the summit.

On a clear day you can see England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales from here but unfortunately it was hazy and good views were not possible
It was possible to see the sea though.

We decided to go back down on the next train. Had I been by myself I think I would have chosen to walk down. The next time I visit this island I will be bringing my walking boots!








16 comments:

  1. Some beautiful countryside there. What made it so windy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a fun way to climb a mountain! I’m trying to think where i rode a train where the seat backs moved to face forward no matter which direction you were going and i can’t remember. I bet it was tough to give up making the windy summit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read the name Snaefell, I thought: snow mountain in Norwegian! And I was right. Although today you write it slightly different.

    We have a TT here in the Netherlands as well. On the last day there are thousands and thousands of motorbikes going home. A lot of people watch them drive past sitting on deck chairs along the motorway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the tram/railway seems lovely and ahead of its time being electric. Imagine seeing England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales all from one spot!! Next time it will be a clear day and you’ll have your walking boots on. Snaefell has a nice nozzley sound to it and would make a good name for a character in Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to ride that railway. There's a cog railroad that goes to the top of our local mountain (14,115 feet high), but it's closed for a couple of years for a complete rebuild.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I would love to take the train ride.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was reading about the Snaefull railway after your last post. I am pleased you were able to take trip. They certainly are good views.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen the Isle of Man, off in the distance from the top of some hills in The Lakes, but never visited - adds yet another place to wish list!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enter your comment...I guess you were there for the TT Races? A competitor rather than a spectator? Just joking but you can't be sure nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photo adventures are always so wonderful. Entertaing AND educational.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, I would like a ride on that railway. Great views! Enjoy your day, have a great new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like a wonderful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How exciting and what a beautiful view ~ great photos ~ ^_^

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I first thought you were somewhere in Sweden because of the word Snaefell which sounds very germanistic in German Schneefall ! Beautiful landscape ! I always wanted to go there, One day maybe ...

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.