Sunday 5 May 2019

Day 7: Barnstaple to Instow


Our final group photo for this year as today is our last day of walking.  After a delicious, leisurely breakfast, we loaded all our luggage into Steve's car which  he retrieved from a friend's house last night. The original plan was to walk to Instow today and then get the ferry across to Appledore and walk to Westward Ho!  However the tide will be out when we get to Instow so no ferry. We are hoping to catch a bus to Appledore or Westward Ho! We will then return to Instow where a taxi has been booked to take  four of us back to Minehead to collect our cars where we will meet up with Steve, Paul and our Luggage..
Our walk today begins back in the town with a walk over the Long Bridge which dates from the 13th century, widened in 1798 and 1963.



A local workman has found an alternative use for his wheelbarrow.







Today we will be walking along the other side of the River Taw . The old railway track is a paved cycleway as well as the South West Coast Path. Another of the unusual cycle route waymarkers.

It wasn't a particularly interesting walk as it was so straight. We also needed to be alert and not stray into the path of cyclists.










Saw a few different kinds of birds in the estuary. There were lots of shelducks which I thought were geese at first until I zoomed in on them.

 Curlew and Egret (I think).





On the other side of the track was farmland. I am pleased to say the cows were grazing peacefully well away from the path!





The railway closed in 1982 but the old Fremington station still remains. It is now a cafe which made a welcome stop for many. We hadn't been walking long enough to warrant a stop other than making use of the toilet facilities.


Lots of families out on their bikes. Many with dogs running alongside their owners. Others took the easier option.


A short distance from the old station we crossed a bridge over a tidal inlet.

Out on the wet sand were a couple digging for lugworms I assume.


The path now went inland a little way.


On and on the path went.

Finally we could see the preserved signal, level crossing and signal box at Instow.

If you look at the map you can see Instow in the top right with Appledore on the other side of the River Torriidge.


As you can see the tide is out so we can see Appledore but there will be no ferry this afternoon to get us there. We all had an ice cream whilst we decided what to do next. The dogs are well catered for here.


I decided to get a bus to the other side of the river but that didn't work out either, as I could only get one to Bideford and it would take too long to change buses there. In the end I had a wander along the coast enjoying the sunshine.


At the end of the afternoon Steve and Paul caught a bus back to Barnstaple to collect the luggage filled car and drive it to Minehead. The rest of us got a taxi back to Minehead. In the evening we all went out for a meal to a pub in the medieval village of Dunster close to Minehead. A final evening to reflect on the walk and discuss plans for next year. Once again, another very enjoyable week of walking and companionship, but we all agreed maybe less elevation next year!

17 comments:

  1. You made it! How did your feet do? Didn't you have a problem earlier that you had to get back in shape from?
    I told Dan that I have such great memories from our walk in the Cotswolds that I'd like to do something like that again. Must check out the English Lakeland Ramblers website to get ideas. Elevation would be a problem for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I enjoyed your walk and the lovely scenery. The route marker is unique. It looks like a nice walking path. The inlet looks strange with the tide so low. The Shelduck and Egret are pretty. Great trip report and photos. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will see if the Ramblers supports The Dales Way in the Yorkshires. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite a journey to make! Terrific shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy your walks and am glad you are so willing to chronicle them so well for people like me who will not be able to make it to the UK. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you made it to the end and it looked like you had nice weather for the last day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It almost looked as if you could wade across to Appledore at the low tide. Lots of logistics to get you all reunited with your belongings and cars. I really enjoyed your coastal walk, especially since it was you and not me doing all the up and down walking! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Certainly not pebble beaches. I like that the signal box and level crossing have been preserved. The weather looks quite warm. A little less elevation for the next walk is telling. As always, I enjoyed your strenuous efforts from the comfort of my chair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thoroughly loved your travel narrative. Hope you take us along next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely walk with you today. Thanks for taking me along :)
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. I walked with you through all your walking posts and appreciated very much your photos ! But now I am very tired and have to rest ! Amazing that you enjoy so much walking ! I am far too lazy for that and then I have these breathing problem, but still even when I was a young girl I never liked to hike or walk. Slowly yes and taking lot of pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I do like the idea of making a pathway where there used to be railway tracks. Usually these are the most scenic routes. These villages like Dunster make me think of a television town in a fantastic show called Heartbeat, probably not new to you but relatively new in Canada. Kate and Nick play the doctor and constable in the 60s.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Come to the Netherlands! Quite flat over here you know...

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely hike! And cool with canine ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Indeed, the dogs are catered to...afterall, some think they're human (giggles). Too bad the tide didn't cooperate with your plans, but still a fantastic excursion. 13th century...wow, don't see THAT in America!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dining at a medieval pub isn't something we can do on this side of the pond ... woe we are.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another successful (and awe-inspiring) long-distance walk. I’m “walking” backwards here for awhile as I’m catching up. Gotta remember to look up what a lugworm is and why anyone would want to dig them up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.