Wednesday 1 May 2019

Day 5: Mortehoe to Croyde


The weather forecast was not good for today with winds of up to 50mph predicted. The temperature had also dropped so an extra layer of waterproofs was needed. We had an early breakfast so we could be on our way by 8am and hopefully miss the worse of the weather.















Once we were back on the path we were sheltered by the high hedges.












We then needed to cross a couple of fields.

This field was full of frisky bullocks. We were all very nervous about crossing the field but I was petrified. The previous evening we had been talking about my fear of cows to some friends of Steve's who are dairy farmers. They live near by and had joined us for the evening. Ron told me I was quite right to be wary as he had been injured by one of his own cows without any warning.



With Ron's words ringing in our ears, it took us some time to get passed this herd! We tried to keep to the edge of the field but the cows just wanted to follow! I breathed a huge sigh of relief once we were in the next field.




We then had to walk through a static caravan site.  Didn't see that many people around but then it was still raining and very windy.
Once through the caravan site we had views of the sea again. Fortunately we would not be walking on the edge of the cliffs today.


We followed the path into the town of Woolacombe, a 20th century holiday resort with a fantastic sandy beach.







The town is popular with families and surfers.

I thought I had walked in a straight line but the wind was blowing me off course.
The beach was deserted.


As the tide was out we decided to walk along the 3 mile sandy beach instead of the path which follows the coastline above the beach.


The rain had stopped but the wind hadn't. I tried to capture the swirling sand around these rocks.





You can see how the wind is whipping up the spray.







Luckily we were all wearing boots so didn't get our feet wet crossing this stream on its way down to the sea.





We climbed up off the beach and had a lovely view back towards Woolacombe.
Steve was ready for a sit down but it was too exposed and too windy. From here we had to walk up and round the Baggy Point peninsula.

The wind was howling and living up to the weather predictions. We stayed together as a group just in case someone was blown over by the wind. Fighting against the wind, my eyes and nose were streaming and I couldn't see as much as I would have liked.






Above Baggy Point is this pole. We had no idea what it was so I needed to do a bit of research and found this explanation on the North Devon National Trust facebook page:
The Coastguard Pole on Baggy Point (which we are currently replacing) was an important tool for training coastguards. It was designed to mimic the mast of a foundering ship. Coastguards would fire rope at the mast, and then rig up a breeches buoy - a life saver ring on a pulley system like a zip wire. Stricken sailors would then climb into the ring and be pulled from the ship over the water and onto dry land by the coastguards. It was a tricky job, hence the need to practise on Baggy Point's Coastguard Pole.


Come back Jim!
The path continues right to the edge but we decided not to bother.


Once round Baggy Point we could see Croyde beach in the distance where our walk will end today.
Time to find somewhere to have lunch.





We found this very sheltered spot out of the wind.


Good job this notice was here as I would never have guessed what this was supposed to be.


We walked a bit further round the coast and then moved away on to a quiet road.




The road took us into Croyde where we were staying the night.
Interesting vehicle parked by the side of the road.

Tonight we were splitting up. Tina and myself  were in a bed and breakfast whilst the boys had rooms in a pub. Neither place could accommodate all of us.





















We met up in the pub in the evening for a meal and I think Tina and I decided we had the better deal as the boys didn't have ensuite rooms.

11 comments:

  1. I can feel the wind when I see you all walking along the beach! It sounds like a heavy walk this time. I share your fear of cows, this time it was an complete army waiting for you on top of the hill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine the wind and how hard it was to walk. In younger days we backpacked in White Mountains of New Hampshire. Going over the top of one mountain we were hit with incredible winds once we got above tree line. We had to retrace our steps and set up camp along the trail on an incline. Dan had to hike down to get us water. The wind blew all night and even though we were below tree line we could hear it howling all night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortunately you were all able to deal with the elements quite well. I don't like walking in such wind, either. You still managed to get some great photos! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this day took you to some varied places, farmland fields, woodsy and the wild windy beach! I’m glad to know I’m not the only person in this world wit a fear of cows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shots along the beach are my favourites of the set.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos as always but sounded like a challenging day. Well done for getting across that field of bullocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I share your concern about frisky, or aggressive, cows; I reckon we encounter far more incidents of worrying behaviour than we used to. And, PLEASE, Mr Farmer, don't try to tell me they're just being inquisitive! Love those shots along the beach - simply wonderful; it's a lovely part of the world, even in less than perfect weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like cows and use to raise calves but that herd really looked threatening. What a harsh day with the strong winds. Makes the walking twice as hard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It must have been awful to be in such strong wind for such a long time. The van, with a Florida number plate, in Croyde is interesting and not what you would expect in a small village.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your photos of the swirling sands. Those high winds would be difficult to deal with and I am glad you made it safe and sound past the cattle.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.