Monday 22 April 2019

Dunster Castle, Somerset

On my way to Minehead in Somerset I stopped to have a look at Dunster Castle.
There has been a castle here for over 1000 years, starting as a Saxon stronghold, being reconstructed many times. The Luttrell family, who lived here for 600 years rebuilt and remodelled it between 1868 and 1872 into the building it is today.

The rooms looked as though they were still lived in, with family photographs on the tables and the dining room table laid out for an extravagant feast.














The beautiful carved, wooden staircase.


The bedrooms all looked very cosy with terrific views over the valley to the sea beyond.






This is a rare, late 17th century leather hanging.

A well stocked library would be top of my list if I lived in a castle!


Second on the list would be an adjoining conservatory with comfy chairs and a fabulous view over the gardens.




As it was such a beautiful, sunny day, I left the castle and had a wander around the gardens.










I found an empty seat in the small cafe which had a great view of the valley and the sea. Perfect for a cream tea.


I enjoyed my break from driving and returned to the car for the final short drive to my destination. This afternoon I would be meeting up with my five walking companions at a Premier Inn hotel in Minehead. Tomorrow we will be setting off on this year's long distance walk along the South West Coast Path. More about that in my next post.

Sharing with Our World Tuesday

21 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous castle. And can't wait to hear about your walking trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, beautiful castle. The tour was awesome. I love the gardens. Enjoy your walk, sounds like a fun time. Enjoy your day, have a great new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, that staircase, and the leather wall hanging. Sometimes i wonder how it would be to live surrounded such beautiful things as the wealthy were in times gone by. I think life would be quite different staring at those things than computer screens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fairy tale setting. How great these places have been saved and opened to the public. We can dream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely place to visit AND a cream tea! Hope the distance walk is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful and exotic (to me) location! I hope I get to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is mystery & magic in this post & your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rooms are so inviting. Love that staircase. I wonder why the family left.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's truly beautiful both inside and out. If I lived in a castle, I'd sure like it to be this one! Thanks for the great tour. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful interior and so well set up for just living in. I love the water cascading under the bridge in the third last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is such a magnificent place - love the wood carvings on the stairs and it would be magical to have a conservatory like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous castle, it must have been an amazing place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The whole place looks rather grand, especially that beautiful conservatory. And who could travel to Devon and Cornwall with sampling tea with strawberry jam, scones and clotted cream?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This would be a dream place to live with the rich carved wood, 4 poster beds, tapestries, conservatory, and lush gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The conservatory is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful place to break your journey.
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  17. Quite an impressive place. You've photographed it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.