Thursday 4 April 2019

#1 Tourist destination in UK

I was surprised to learn this week that the most visited tourist attraction in 2018 was the Tate Modern art Gallery just ahead of The British Museum.



























I wonder if the new extension with its 360 deg views of London increased the number of visitors.


















Maybe its exhibitions. At the moment there is an outdoor collection by Franz West.








I enjoy some of the exhibitions but there are a number that I don't really appreciate or understand. I was there last week to see an interesting exhibition of Dorethea Tanning's work, an  American artist who was influenced by the surrealists. She was married to Max Ernst, the German.




Door 84. There is a door separating the paintings.








12 comments:

  1. Not my number one destination more like the last place I would visit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Modern art tends to be hit and miss with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I went _once_ to the Tate Modern, mainly to see the architecture. But I go to The British Museum every couple of years.

      Delete
  3. Interesting and a bit puzzling. I studied that last picture for awhile and could not figure it out. But I'm glad you shared it with me anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty sure I am not getting it. Fear I am a more traditionalist concerning art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I like to try and visit new places at least once before making judgement. I do like some modern art. Thanks for sharing your visit. Happy Friday, I hope your day and weekend is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son in law and daughter love the Tate. MY son in law was asked to compose music for an installation some years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to pay the Tate a proper visit. Just out of curiousity. I'm not a great fan of modern art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That really surprises me! And rather makes me feel old and out of touch,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I visited the Tate Modern once and that was more than enough for me. It would certainly not be on my favourite 'things to see in London' list. Fortunately tastes differ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fascinating. I never miss a chance to visit to the Tate Modern as there are always interesting things to see. I’d love to see the new addition. I really was surprised to hear that it is the #1 place to visit though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.