Saturday 23 March 2019

Trying to get fit!


As I mentioned in my last post I am trying to improve my stamina and fitness in time for my next long distance walk. My illness has put me way behind but I am feeling well now and know I need to get some miles under my belt. On Friday I decided to do the Cudham circular walk. It is only 12km but enough for me at the moment. It has a few inclines and descents so a good walk to see how I am doing. This walk which I have done before takes me through woodland, farmland and across a couple of golf courses. As there are numerous footpaths throughout Kent it is very easy to go wrong. I always use an Ordnance Survey map. The scale is 4cm to 1km which is perfect for finding landmarks. I have marked the route on the map to make it easy for me to follow. The map also has contour lines so you know when you should be going uphill, downhill or on the flat. The footpaths shown on the map are public rights of way. If it is not shown on the map then you probably shouldn't be walking on it.

An uphill start to the walk through the mud!


Then across some farmland

This is an avenue of Beech trees which leads me to a golf course.
You can see the golf course with its sandy bunkers down in the valley.

A number of trees had come down in the storm we had earlier this month. With the others it was possible to walk around them but this one you had to climb over it, as the path was an enclosed one with wire fencing on either side.









I stopped to admire this tree and as I did so half a dozen deer leapt past me. I wasn't quick enough to photograph them. It is rare to see them as they are very shy and will disappear as soon as they hear you.
The homeward stretch. I just need to cross the field and get out at the top. The car park is the other side of the trees.





Here I am back at the 11th cent church where I set off a couple of hours ago. I am tired but pleased that the walk didn't present any problems. I will aim to do a walk every other day this week increasing in length and difficulty.

11 comments:

  1. That looks like a beautiful walk through the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a blue sky day, but you didn't mention rain so it must have been a dry one. Good luck on your endurance training.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to be startled by a deer! Your spring is behind ours but the woods always looks beautiful, even in its bare bones state. I’m glad to hear you are feeling well and shaping up for a long walk. Where to this time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful place to walk and those deer where a neat gift. You are obviously feeling much better. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well you put me to shame with your walks

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mud looks familiar to me, since we get lots of places like that on our walks. Congratulations on having done it with lots of flair. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! At least you stayed dry but I bet your boots were a bit of a mess lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do more recovering from an illness than I could dream of doing when perfectly healthy! It’s great to have so many walking paths and trails!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck. As I don't have a car anymore it is a bit more difficult for me to get out and about to do some walking. Besides, my shoes are in storage, as is everything else!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.