Monday 18 March 2019

The memorial tree

Thank you for all your kind wishes. I now feel fully recovered and today managed a 5 mile walk for the first time in 4 weeks. Next month I am hoping to go on the annual long distance walk with five friends. This year we are  walking along the South West coastal path in Devon. So it's fingers crossed I will be fit enough.
At the weekend I drove to Manchester to scatter Mum's ashes with other close members of the family. We had a tree planted in her memory in one of her favourite National Trust properties, Tatton Park. I have nothing but praise for the way the NT arranged everything. You cannot choose a location nor the type of tree as they will only plant where a tree needs to be replaced. I told them the parts of the park which Mum loved and when I saw the location for the first time on Saturday I was thrilled. They had planted an English oak overlooking the lake. There are 2000 acres of parkland with hundreds of deer and sheep grazing there. The tree was well protected and will be replaced it it doesn't flourish. Despite the horrendous weather on Saturday it was an uplifting and memorable occasion. Details of the tree and its GPS location are kept in a book and online for any future generations to see.



The fallen oak will remain where it fell to provide habitats for a variety of creatures. I look forward to visiting the tree in future years to admire its growth and, of course, its view.


  

17 comments:

  1. That's a lovely way to remember your Mum. Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so very touching. I'm glad they leave the old tree there to decay naturally. And I do hope that new tree flourishes. Also glad to hear you're better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely memorial that will benefit many visitors in the future, and I like that the old oak remains as a home for little critters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good setting and a way to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very touching. I love the way to remembering.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely place for your mum's ashes ! Looks so peaceful !

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great place for a tree. I had missed your sickness, glad to hear you recovered. Looking forward to your blogs of the next distance walk!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy you have recovered. What a wonderful memorial for your mum. A tree full of life and giving. Good to see it is protected from the browsers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you continue to be better & accomplish you goals in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a very special tribute to your Mum. I like the nice wire enclosure for the young tree. Very classy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such special and beautiful memorial for you Mum!
    I'm glad you are feeling better and I hope you will fully recover and go back to your nice walks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely to leave the old tree there as well: habitat for all those tiny critters until the new tree is big enough.

    Glad to hear you are feeling better and can't wait for your next adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like you've had a bit of a time of it; I'm so sorry. What a lovely memorial, though...very special. The visit to the West Country sounds great - hugely jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely resting place for your dear mum and a tree is such a nice legacy to leave for the world. Nice they leave the fallen tree to benefit wildlife. Now i see where your long hike is — the Devon coast. Looking forward to hearing about that adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a perfect memorial. And it’s great that they keep the records so her grands and great grand children (and on...) can visit and remember!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.