Friday 30 March 2018

Swinging in the Turbine Hall

A reflection of the Turbine Hall at the Tate Modern art gallery

The pendulum swings slowly from the ceiling with the movement of the Earth. It is suspended above a carpet made in the colours of British banknotes. Designed as a space to contemplate the forces of work in our everyday lives.


 Looking down from a central walkway at the Turbine Hall. You get a very good view of the installation from up here.
 The installation is called 'One,two,three swing' by Superflex. An orange line of swings weaves its way through the Turbine Hall, this huge place at the heart of Tate Modern, a former power station that once generated energy for the City of London. It then crosses the gallery and emerges in the landscape to the south of the building. The line links production, collaborative action and shared use beyond the gallery into the city's public places and around the world.



Each swing is designed  for three people by Danish art collective Superflex. I'm not sure I really understand the thought processes behind the installation but the swings are great fun. I brought my granddaughter here a couple of months ago and we had a lovely time swinging together - until I fell off, but then that just made us laugh even more.





The installation continues outside but the weather today was atrocious and nobody was keen to be swinging in the rain.
Sharing with James at Weekend Reflection

19 comments:

  1. cool...I have seen photos of the swing on Instagram but they only showed bits of it. Glad to see what the whole installation is like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sure have some interesting installations, can’t quite call it art. Writing from Strasbourg. I haven’t been sleeping well at all on this cruise and then last night the special chef dinner didn’t agree with me and I was up several times. Otherwise we are enjoying the cruise. Dan is doing the bike tour of town this morning then we will explore together in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very interesting installation. I would have loved to swing too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry the place does not do for me, I find the building ugly like the work they exibit but glad you had an enjoyable time

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like it makes people laugh and spend time together, so it's perfect. And now I'm singing to myself, "swinging in the rain." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Art installations just get weirder and more weird. But this one looks fun. A cross between art and a playground.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun. I love the Tate Modern and it's so neat you and your granddaughter are able to enjoy art together. Happy Easter, Marie. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun are those swings! Gosh that place is quite large!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a great place to see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks a perfect rainy day activity unless of course you fall off a swing, then maybe it's safer to take your granddaughter to the movies! What fun though until that point!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I seem to recall a pendulum like that in in Science Museum as well.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  12. What we will will do to entertain our grand-girls -- even falling off a swing and thereby becoming part of the art installation ).... certainly would be great to see ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. We'e planning a visit after the Easter break - will be interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooo - I love the Tate Modern!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.