This is Michelin House on the corner of Fulham Road and Sloane Ave. It opened in 1911 as the headquarters of Michelin tyres in the UK. When opened it used to have fitting bays where the cars were driven in to have their tyres changes. Over 30,000 tyres were stored in the basement
They restored some of the original features and put in a restaurant and Oyster bar called Bibendum as well as offices and a Conran shop.
There are three large stained glass windows featuring 'Bibendum' the Michelin man/ Unfortunately these are not the original windows which were taken down for safe keeping during the war and sent to the Michelin factory in Stoke on Trent. When it was time for them to be returned they could not be found. A mystery that has still not been solved.
A ceramic tyre has been used elsewhere in the decoration.
On both sides of the building just above head height are decorative tiles showing famous racing cars that used Michelin tyres.