Thursday, 8 October 2026

Day 2 Morocco

 

The first stop this morning was at Volubilis, a Roman site dating back to the 1st century AD.





 Pomegranate trees were everywhere.


A large Roman bath in the remains of a villa. A bit like the hot tubs of today.


Excellent mosaics showing the trials of Hercules.






An olive press.



For lunch we were taken to a centre run by women who were learning hospitality and cooking skills. The centre is funded by the non profit making organisation, Planeterra, which promotes sustainable tourism benefitting local communities. The travel company I use, G Adventures, is in partnership with Planeterra and wherever possible in the world your tour will include a visit to one of the community projects. I have always been very impressed with the work they do. The meal was huge, so much delicious food.

 A tea ceremony followed the meal. Mint tea is offered to us wherever we go.


We continued our travels to Fez and quickly settled into our hotel there. I am pleased to say that all the hotels we stayed in have excellent air conditioning. In the evening we visited a Riad. AS well as the meal there was entertainment from musicians, belly dancers and an enactment of a wedding which I couldn't work out.




The main course was centred around this meat pie which had a very sweet, sugar coated pastry on it. Not to my taste but interesting to try.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.