Friday 3 May 2024

Day 5: Ashbury to Ogbourne St George
















Great to wake up to blue skies. Once again the forecast is showers but that has not deterred Steve with once again showing his fashion prowess with the shorts and non matching accessories.


I hadn't seen the village when we arrived here yesterday as I was keen to have a rest but today I feel much better and I was pleased that the route took us out via the small village.


It is a pretty village with a number of thatched cottages surrounding the 12th century church. Although Ashbury used to be in the county of Berkshire. The boundary changes in 1974 transferred it to Oxfordshire.

There wasn't a great deal of variation in the scenery today as we mainly walked through agricultural land.

As many of you know, cows are not a favourite of mine, so I was pleased that an electric fence plus a barbed wire fence separated this herd from the trail.
Very muddy section.


As this is an ancient track it tends to be very straight.

Although it doesn't look it this was a main road junction as it led to the busy motorway, the M4, which we had to cross.











Whenever I travel on this motorway it is much, much busier than this.

Enjoying a lunch stop in the sunshine.

The fields either had wheat or rape seed growing.

We arrived at our accommodation for the night in the village of Ogbourne St George, mid afternoon. The bar in the pub where we were staying didn't open until 5pm.

Not to miss out on a drink in the beautiful sunshine, the boys found a Golf Club not too far away that was open to the public.

9 comments:

  1. You had great weather for your walk today. It makes me quite sad to see those vast areas of industrial agriculture with not a hedgerow to break up its monotony and provide food and shelter for wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The half cow in the photo looks Friesian but the one in the foreground does not. NB, I am the son of a dairy farmer.
    You can all sit on the ground and easily get up again. That's impressive from my perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great day outing and beautiful sceneries

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drinks in the sunshine at the golf club look perfect. My beloved does it every Sunday with his mates after golf , but your friends didn't even have to tire themselves for 4 hours :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather is cooperating for you. The scenes remind me of our walk in 2014. through the Cotswolds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you were feeling better and able to carry on with the walk. I'm sure a drink was needed by all at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like you had nice weather for your visit, if you want to see cows there are all over the place here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the flat country side with cows, I don't know why, but I love cows ! My weekend was wet but nice with my two giants and the dog, They were admired like in a zoo, lol. Toby was real cute with the old residents and told me later that it had been "a nice experience" for him ! Not bad for a 13 year old boy !

    ReplyDelete
  9. From your photographs you were lucky with the weather.
    I enjoyed the views and thought the cow looked a friendly one :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.