Thursday 15 December 2022

Reykjavík

 

This is Hallgrimskirkja, the largest church in Iceland which towers over the centre of Reykjavic. The 75m tower provides a360 deg view over the town with the mountains and sea beyond. It is the most visited tourist destination in Reykjavic. It was built to represent a waterfall.


Views over Reykjavík from the top of the church tower.



As you would expect the interior is large and stark.









On a hotel wall opposite the church.


The town is not large and is easy to see on foot. Many of the streets are pedestrianised with street art everywhere including the road.













Colourful fire hydrant



We left the centre of town and walked towards the harbour which was not far away. this impressive building is the Harpa concert Hall and Conference Centre.








This is what it looks like from the inside.















This is the Hofoi building, not far from the hotel where we were staying. In its 104 history it has been used by ambassadors, poets and artists. Today it is the mayor's reception hall. the house is probably most famous for holding the Regan - Gorbachev summit in 1986, believed to be the beginning of the end of the Cold War. 






Also near the harbour was the Sun Voyager sculpture.

These were taken on the last night we were there( not by me I hasten to add)






10 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! The northern Light is so special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hofoi building has long been terrific, especially when it was used as the French consulate and the British embassy. Today it is the mayor's reception hall, but not too plush and rich thankfully. I hope the 1909 building is Heritage Protected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Reykjavik is a popular tourist destination and I think I now know why. Hallgrimskirkja is a stunning building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a lovely town to explore as you did. The Northern Lights were the icing on your trip that last night, I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The murals and sculptures are just fantastic. So are the auroras

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's definitely on my bucketlist, I like the pride flag on the street.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing the street are and the architecture of the church seems perfect for its environment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed this post and seeing all of your photographs.
    The Northern Lights are beautiful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.