Friday 25 March 2022

In training

With just one month to go before my 90 mile long distance walk around Cornwall I am desperate to increase my stamina. Covid has put me way behind as well as other family commitments. The weather was absolutely beautiful today with blue skies and warm temperatures. since breaking my foot last summer I am reluctant to head off on my own into the countryside. I therefore decided to walk round a local nature reserve. It is a 2,5 mile circular walk and so I went round three times. At last I have done more than the 5 ml walks I've been doing so far.

 
It was beautiful and reasonable quiet with not too many dog walkers.
It took me 2hrs 15 min and the birdsong never stopped. I could hear the tap tapping of woodpeckers, the screeching of the parakeets and cooing of the wood pidgeons. Robins, blackbirds and blue tits were everywhere. There were numerous other woodland birds that I could hear but not recognise but it all added to a wonderful background of birdsong.




It was a fabulous walk. I just need to increase the mileage and do it every day! The furthest I will be walking in one day will be 15 miles so fingers crossed I will be fit enough by then. 

13 comments:

  1. I am excited for your walk. 2hrs plus of walking for training...where would I find the time to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the walking training. It looks like you had a good day for it as well. Hopefully that keeps up. Nothing as blergh as walking through the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll get there and be fit for the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what pretty pictures. I admire you for doing so many hikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 7.5 miles is a good distance considering how little you've been out recently. I'm sure you will be fit for your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excited for you and so in awe! Not just of your big hike coming up but of how many miles you do for "just practice."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean, I got really lazy for a while then last week I started to get out walking again and now this week we've had to isolate due to my son testing positive, hopefully within a couple of days I'll be out again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That’s a good start, an increase of 2.5 miles in one go. All that birdsong sounds so lovely and other signs of spring to keep you inspired. You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My you are adventurous taking on such a long walk. I'm sure you will succeed. I didn't know that you broke your foot. Hope it didn't take too long to heal. Good luck with your training.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely walk. I hope your Cornwall walk goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks a good place to walk.
    I think it is important to train before any long distance walking.

    Take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh I know what you mean, since we isolated for those 2 weeks with covid (we are out now though) I haven't gone walking and I'm itching to get out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.