Friday 19 March 2021

Our Lockdown Oak

 



During lockdown my granddaughter planted a number of different seeds as part of the science curriculum. She also planted some acorns we had picked up on one of our walks. We didn't think they would germinate but after 6 weeks one of them began to grow. This is the seedling after 10 weeks. We have called it Our Lockdown Oak. My granddaughter wants to plant it out in the garden when it gets a little bigger. As the garden is not very large , I think we will need to rethink where to put it so we can watch it grow.



10 comments:

  1. Lovely! I hope you can find a suitable spot for it, and that it will grow into a mighty oak tree! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen plenty of volunteer oak trees but never one deliberately planted as an acorn. Good for her. I hope you find a good spot. It may have to be one where it can be watched until it gets big enough to transplant to it's permanent home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully there's a good spot for it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool, I hope you find a nice open space for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful idea, an oak tree to remember the good memories of home schooling and to grow up along with your granddaughter. When my first daughter was born we planted an apple tree that grew up with her and provided us with years of apples. I cried when I left it behind in Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I like this. Fun to watch your seeds grow. Hopefully, wherever you plant it....it thrives and she will be able to show her children one day her lockdown oak!.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your granddaughter has the best home-school teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that is wonderful.
    I do hope you will be able to find a suitable growing spot for it.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's an achievement but yes you will probably have to think carefully about where to finally plant it lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.