Thursday 31 December 2020

Farewell 2020

 It is at this time that I like to reflect on the year we are leaving behind and take time to plan for the year ahead. Well, this will be a year I won't be sorry to bid farewell. It started badly in January with my daughter and then the rest of the family contracting a nasty dose of the flu. Whilst everyone around her recovered, my daughter had lasting effects which continued for many weeks. 'It can only get better!' we all said. Listening to the news from China of a new virus didn't have that much impact. They had said the same about SARS and the Ebola crisis but our lives were not disrupted. A pandemic? That doesn't mean anything to us. I had booked a three week trip to Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand for March. I had all the necessary vaccinations in early February but doubts were entering my head. Vietnam borders China so will I be safe? By March news of the virus spreading was big news and it was obvious that I would be taking a massive risk, not just with my health but that of my family's if I were to bring the virus home with me. I took the decision to cancel my trip on the 6th March. I should have flown to Hanoi on the following day. I left it until the last minute to cancel in the hope that the Government would ban travel to these countries and I could then claim back the cost of the trip. This didn't happen for a couple of weeks so sadly I lost thousands of pounds. Money is of no consequence when your health is at risk. With hindsight I don't know why I hesitated for so long but I'm glad common sense prevailed in the end.



So instead of flying to Vietnam I packed up the car and planned a round trip to Edinburgh visiting new places and old friends on the way. I did make it to Edinburgh but there was no visiting of friends, as the crisis worsened and I needed to get back to my daughter before the start of the inevitable lockdown.




I now understand only too well the meaning of the word 'Pandemic'. I miss seeing my son and DIL. Zoom and facetime are OK but it's not the same. We have experienced some very difficult family events when support has been greatly needed but no hugs and kisses are possible. The absence of the physical contact has been very difficult for so many of us. 



I like to look forward to a new year full of hope and promise and new experiences. However, we will start 2021 in lockdown again with the death rate rising and the numbers of confirmed Covid cases increasing by the day (yesterday 50,000 new cases!). But there is light at the end of the tunnel. The new vaccines are already being rolled out and with the Spring should come new hope and dare I say the possibility of travel once again. Even if it is just within the UK I will be grateful for the opportunity.

Thank you to everyone who reads my blog and takes the time to write a comment. I cannot tell you how much those comments have lifted my spirits this year. May the world be a heathier and safer place to live in 2021.

(Photographs taken in an empty Greenwich market)

15 comments:

  1. I think we all are hoping for better times in 2021. Happy New year - stay safe and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a year it has been, full of fear of the unknown at times. Best New Year wishes from us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been quite the year ~ hoping for the best for all of us ~

    Wishing you a Healthy and Happy New Year,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am not sorry to see the last of this awful year. I truly hope we will be able to find a better world on the other side of this horrible pandemic, which has killed so many and continues to do so. I look forward to your renewed travel and stories of adventures to come. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not going to Vietnam was definitely the right decision but I can imagine your disappointment over that and then the rest of the year as everything has been so limited. I know that I'm one of the fortunate ones, staying healthy etc but it's still been hard to stay positive. At least there is hope now with the vaccines being rolled out. I wish you a healthy and happier 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Late Victorian railway stations are usually the busiest and most fascinating architecture in a city. But empty it looks lonely and unloved. Be healthy and well in 2021!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you and your family a Hopeful New Year... and empathizing . It has been a year to remember (in all the wrong ways). I appreciate that you’ve shared the downs with us as it helps all of us to know we’re not alone. We’ve been lucky enough to at least see our daughter and family in a safe outdoor setting, but that has drawn to a close. It will be a long winter , but yes there is light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    I think we are all happy to see 2020 come to an end. I have high hopes for the New Year! I wish you all the best in 2021, a very happy and healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know that mentioning the flu brought back what happened to me at the beginning of January. I helped out at an event where I used to work one evening around the end of the month. My wife did not want me to go but I went along. I met and talked to a lot of people including some who were of different nationalist some from the far east. A week or so later I came down with something which was not pleasant and it went around the four of us at home. A little while later the epidemic hit and we were in Lockdown. My wife & I still wonder if we had caught the virus, I certainly had caught something but what I could not tell you. Like you I will be glad when it is over, hope your still with your daughter.
    Take Care & Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has been a painful year and for so many, just a tragic one. Think you were smart and fortunate to have cancelled Vietnam. Hopefully 2021 will once again bring us the freedom to travel and better yet, hug our family and friends. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember I urged you to take the trip. I am glad you didn't listen to me! I massively underestimated the new virus as well, as did many others and unfortunately many still do.
    I hope this new year will be a year filled with family and friends, hugs and kisses again.
    Klem

    ReplyDelete
  12. This will be a better year for all of us. Hopefully we can soon forget 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was a year we will never forget. Glad you decided to cancel your trip, you would have never made it to return home for some time. We are all locked up in our environments and miss all the places and events we would have loved to visit. Keep our fingers crossed that better times are near.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wishing you a happy, travel and hug-filled year ahead! We aren’t making any plans yet. Too used to them being dashed now! The roll out of the vaccine here has been full of hype and then a big let-down as the states don’t seem to have the information to distribute it quickly and effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've got friends in the UK on Facebook who are devastated they are going through another lockdown, I can't help but wonder what would've happened if every other country had done the same as we did in the beginning - 8 weeks of lockdown and then closing our borders, I hope you all stay safe there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.