Monday 21 September 2020

Trafalgar Square


It is 6 months since I last visited Trafalgar Square, a place that I would regularly walk through or visit when going to the National Gallery. Just when we thought a little normality was returning, the number of confirmed Covid cases is on the rise and consequently more restrictions are going to happen soon. They already have in certain towns and cities and we are waiting to hear what is going to happen in London. So, on Saturday I decided I would go for a wander around this tourist hotspot and what it was like. I arrived in the Square at about 9.30am having travelled on an almost empty train. Even at this early hour there would be buskers and entertainers setting up ready for the influx of tourists but not today. There was hardly anyone around. I spotted the falconer with his Harris Hawk ready to do a sweep over the Square and keep the pigeons at bay. 


The National Gallery is open to the public but you have to book in advance. To allow for social distancing they have set up the National Gallery cafe outside.

A new exhibit on the 4th plinth in Trafalgar Square complete with its own drone and fly. 

'The End' by Heather Phillipson.




Sharing with Our World Tuesday

15 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Wonderful scenes and photos. My memories of Trafalgar Square were of crowds of people and pigeons. I think I would prefer seeing the Harris Hawk. The new exhibit is interesting with the fly and drone. Take care, enjoy your day! Have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's different. I didn't see the drone in the first photo. Does it take off and land back on the cherry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melbourne is still in total lock down so I know how you feel. However Trafalgar Square and the front of the National Gallery look sadly desolate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A hawk to keep the pigeons at bay … brilliant! Seems like a camera (might?) keep some people at bay. The sculptures, particularly the fly, are exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not nearly as crowded as you'd expect, but under the current circumstances, understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I think we need falconers here to keep the pigeons and starlings away. What a great idea.
    We live in such strange times. I do love the sculpture with the fly and drone. I never fly my drone where there are people because the noise is so annoying. The one exception is when I flew it over the Black Lives Matter mural painted on a street in honor of Trump's visit to try and stir things up here in Tulsa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The live stream works find here, although it is now in darkness. I guessing that is where the blue cockerel once stood. Oh, that is disappointing. The blue cock was bought by a private US museum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that cherry-topped cream whip thingie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember visiting there ~ how different with the Covid impacting everything ~ still great photos, though ~ ^_^ Happy Tuesday ^_^

    Live each moment with love,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always fun to see what’s on the Fourth Plinth. I’m going to check out the drone pictures!
    We cancelled our plans to be in Germany now with daughter Sarah (thanks, Covid), and now she has been called back to the U.S. by her company as of a week ago. I can get so fed up when I let myself think about all this pandemic has messed up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you were able to have a crowd-free visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Falconer is a great idea. When did they start doing that? Amazing (but not surprising ) that it’s so quiet in the Square. ...what a time we are living through. The outdoor cafes are popular here now also, but our climate is quite similar to yours and I don’t think they are going to work well for much longer in either place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a good many years since I went to Trafalgar Square!
    I enjoyed your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.