Monday 19 August 2019

Lambeth Palace gardens

Lambeth Palace is the official London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury. The garden at the back of the palace has been a private garden since the 12th century and takes up 10 acres of the 13 acre site. The garden is open to the public once a month during the Summer months with all proceeds going to small local charities. I have been meaning to visit for the past few years but always seem to miss the open days. So I was delighted to finally gain entry.























You can just see the top of the Houses of Parliament from the garden.










I liked that the garden was more parkland than formally planted flower There lots of nooks and crannies where you could sit quietly and enjoy the greenery. A very enjoyable afternoon.

21 comments:

  1. You could imagine yourself in another century past while enjoying these grounds. How good that the money received supports some local charities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, the palace is beautiful. I love the garden and pretty statues. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much to see in your part of the world...such splendor & historical value. I always enjoy your photo tours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you finally made it inside, and that you shared it all with me. Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that the gardens don't look over groomed. There looks to be some good sight lines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous hidden gem. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic place. I like the casualness of the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful garden--and I like the sculptures too. Looks like a lovely place to just sit and be for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photography of a lovely place ~ so glad you got in to enjoy it and share with us ^_^

    Happy Day to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a pretty place. Love the sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel a sense of peace there. Especially liked the shot thru the archway by the sundial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for taking us along ...this is certainly not something that a traveler would be likely to see. So glad you hit the open day. It looks peaceful and quiet even on a day it was open ...certainly a good place for the occupant (s?) to meditate and stroll when it was not.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so peaceful ! I think it would be very nice to walk around in there !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! Your dream came treue! There are many beautiful flowers in the garden. I enjoyed your photo very much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, that certainly looked an enjoyable afternoon, your photographs were all lovely to see. A peaceful looking place, I wouldn't mind a walk around in person!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the Archbishop should spend more time in that lovely garden. Much better, more productive than interfering in politics anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.