Monday 15 July 2019

Day 3: St Petersburg buildings and Peterhof Palace

This morning was really the beginning of the Gadventures trip. After breakfast we were introduced to our guide for the morning. Her English was excellent and she would be with us for a 3 hour tour of St Petersburg. She gave us a brief history of the city. It was founded by Peter the Great in 1703 as a gateway to Europe and became the capital of Russia from 1712  until 1918. The city's name began as  St Petersburg then changed to Petrograd in 1914 then to Leningrad in 1924, after the death of Lenin. It returned to its original name  in 1991 following the break up of the USSR . I am hopeless at remembering anything a guide tells me. I find it very interesting at the time but my recall of any facts is appalling. My photos act as my memory and then I do some research when I get home. So I took a lot of  photos of buildings etc as we walked along but of course can't always remember their purpose.
This impressive building was once a palace (Beloselskiy Palace). It was once home to one of Rasputin's murderers, then later became the headquarters of the Soviet Communist Party. Nowadays it is offices and a concert hall.




On the other side of the road is this 1920s  Art Nouveau building. Highly decorative to attract customers to the shop which originally sold exotic fruits amongst other things. It is now a souvenir shop.






Close by is this statue of Catherine the Great, the only statue of her in St Petersburg. As a teenage German princess she was married off to a Russian Prince who became Peter III. She was not happy and when she came to power in 1762, she organised an imperial coup in which her husband was murdered. She remained as Empress of Russia until her death in 1796. It was Catherine who was a lover of the arts and collected paintings from around the world.



Also on Nevskiy Prospekt, the main road running through St Petersburg, is Gostinyy Dvor, one of the world's oldest shopping arcades with over 300 shops. Built in the mid 18th century it is the main shopping area of the city.


This is St Petersburg's largest bookshop. It occupies the Singer Company building, built in the Art Nouveau  style. It was the first building in the city to use a metal frame which made it possible to have the large windows on the ground floor. It was also fitted with lifts, heating, air conditioning and an automatic system for clearing snow from the roof. During the first World War it was home to the US Embassy.

Buildings in St Petersburg have a height restriction and to give this one the  illusion of height, the architect added  a metal and glass tower topped with a glass globe that lit up with an advert for the company.




St Michael's Castle was finally completed in 1801. According to  legend, Emperor Paul I (Catherine the Great's son) was told he would live as many years as there were letters above the gate of the castle. The inscription had forty seven characters. The Emperor was killed at the age of forty seven. He was only resident in the castle for forty days when he was assassinated in his bedroom falling victim to a palace coup. All valuables were transferred from the castle. In 1820 the building was handed over to the Central College of Engineering. Many prominent Russians were graduates of the college including Dostoevsky. The building is now part of the Russian Museum and hosts exhibitions here.
.

The his



This is the main Russian Museum building next to the Church of Spilled Blood.














One of many souvenir markets

The guide took us to a number of other places including the Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan which was said to have been inspired by St Peter's Basilica in Rome.She finished the tour in Palace Square where we then went our own ways. A number of the group went to queue for tickets for the Hermitage but myself and L from New Zealand went to get a hydrofoil over to see the Palace at Peterhof. It lies on the shore of the Gulf of Finland and was commissioned by Peter the Great who wanted it to rival the Palace of Versailles.

This is the Grand Cascade with 37 gilded bronze sculptures, 64 fountains and 142 water jets.





















With its beautiful gardens and numerous fountains, it was a pleasant place to be on a hot and humid afternoon




After a few hours of wandering around and sampling the pancakes that were on offer in the cafe, we got the boat back to the City. Using the hydrofoil meant the journey took less than an hour. So it was a case of just sitting back and enjoying the views.










One of the many large cruise ships that visit he city.

Tomorrow we will be leaving St Petersburg and I decided that I wanted one last look inside the Hermitage. L was very tired and decided to go back to the hotel but as it was a Friday evening I knew  the Hermitage would be open late and if I could get in without queuing then I just couldn't resist a final look at those paintings. I got a ticket from one of the machines and walked straight in ignoring the queues at the ticket office. I'm not sure that many of the visitors realised that it was possible to get tickets from the machines. If you do intend to visit the Hermitage I would suggest going to the late night opening and buy your ticket from a machine.






 I wandered around and found paintings by Frans Hals (1582 -1666)  Portrait of a man

 Rembrandt (1606-1669) Portrait of a man with lace collar







Rembrandt: Young Woman with Earrings.


Rembrandt: Portrait of an Old Man in Red

I also went across to the General Staff building  for a final look as some of my favourite impressionist paintings. By now my feet were screaming for a rest so I decided to return to the hotel. The streets were crowded. A lot of young military men in ceremonial dress. Tomorrow is the evening of the Red Sail, a time of celebration and festivities. We will have left the city by then and judging by the increase of numbers on the streets maybe it is just as well. I popped into a Greek restaurant on the way back and had a lovely light meal. As I left the heavens opened, fortunately the hotel was a short distance away and I didn't get too wet but the storm continued and the rain was torrential. I decided not to go out again that evening. I needed to pack and sort myself out  as I wanted to visit one more place before leaving St Petersburg - the Faberge Museum. We would not be leaving until early afternoon so that gave me enough time in the morning to see the Faberge eggs.

17 comments:

  1. Hello, beautiful photos from your trip. The statues, sculptures and fountain are lovely. It is a beautiful city to visit. Have a happy day and a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fascinating architecture and such a grand tumultuous history. You did a good job of relaying interesting details. That is eerie about the Catherine the Great's son living as many years as the inscription of forty-seven letters above the castle gates. Premonition or legend … there are some things we can never know for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fascinating and beautiful city. I am enjoying your pictures very much! Thank you for the great tour and all the interesting information. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are really covering a lot of ground - using your time to a maximum! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive architecture- and the Rembrandts are a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Rembrandts are not on loan to the Dutch museums then? As it is his so many hundredth day of death?

    That Peterhof looks stunning. Are you able at all to get in or did you just think that was too much for the day?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Architecture is fine and St Petersburg is simply stunning, but like you, I would want to see those masterpieces for real. I think I might just stare in awe at the work of artists like Rembrandt. It is brilliant trip you are having.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am amazed by the artpieces the museum has, all those Dutch and other European paintings! We had an exhibition lately in the Hermitage dependance in Amsterdam with an exchange of the paintings, so at least we could watch them for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting that you went with GAdventures, my daughter used them for South America and was impressed. Great tip about getting a ticket from the machine. St Petersburg is on my bucket list for sure. I loved our trip to Russia last year for the FIFA football World Cup and can wait to explore it some more, so great to be travelling with you!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such handsome buildings. St. Petersburg seems to have so much to show.
    Those souvenir stalls also looks so attractive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful architecture. The Palace Peterhof with its cascading fountains is just breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't St Petersburg stunning.
    Great photographs you are sharing.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Peterhof was a highlight of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post. I think if I ever visit I won't need a tour guide I'll just re-read your info! Lovely photos too. Looking forward to reading about the Faberge museum.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brings back such nice memories ! I liked this town and our old fashioned cosy hotel ! I had elephant feet and had to rest a bit. Fortunately not too long.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Plenty of water in St Petersburg. Love the photo of people running under the water jets.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.