Wednesday 10 July 2019

Day 2: Art at the Hermitage



I decided to make my way to the Hermitage again this morning to focus on the paintings. I had looked online and decided to focus mainly on the impressionists which are in the General Staff building, across the square from the Winter Palace. As I walked into the Palace Square I couldn't believe the queues. I found out later that it was taking 2-3 hours to reach the ticket office.



Image result for general staff building of the hermitage images
 Fortunately as I had visited the night before I knew there was another ticket office for the General Staff building. I went inside that building and was delighted to see there was no queue for tickets. I then found out that as today was the 3rd Thursday of the month, the Museum was free of charge and that was why the queues were so long. I couldn't get a decent photo of the General Staff building as they were erecting a giant stage in front of it so this one is from the net.

 The staff building has been totally refitted to display much more of the Museum's art collection. This is the new interior entrance to the gallery floors.


Here is a selection of the paintings I saw.








Henri Matisse: The Ballerina (1927)

Henri Matisse: Vase of Irises (1912)















Henri Matisse: Music ( 1910)

Henri Matisse: Family Portrait (1911)













Pablo Picasso: Head of a woman  Pablo Picasso: Two sisters (1902)

Pablo Picasso: Table in a cafe (1912)














Pablo Picasso: Violin and Guitar (1912/13)
Auguste Renoir: Portrait of a woman (1877)

Edgar Degas: Dancers (1896-98)

Auguste Rodin: The Eternal Spring. After 1884


 I found the next  few rooms really frustrating as the paintings reflected the light from the windows. I was surprised they didn't have blinds on the windows. It was difficult to appreciate the paintings let alone take photos. Anyway that's the reason these photos seem to be at strange angles.


Auguste Rodin: Low tide at Yport 1883

Auguste Renoir: Roses in a vase

Auguste Renoir: In the Garden 1883


Auguste Renoir: Young woman in a flowered hat 1892










Camille Pissarro: The Tuileries Gardens 1900

Camille Pissarro: Quai Malaquais, Sunny Afternoon 1903

Claude Monet: Woman in a garden 1876

Claude Monet: The Seine at Asnieres 1873

Alfred Sisley: Barges at Billancourt 1877

Claude Monet: The Garden 1876



Claude Monet: The Grand Quai at Havre 1874

 Paul Gauguin: Rowan Bouquet 1884


 Paul Cezanne: Jas de Bouffan, the pool 1876

 Paul Cezanne:  Bathers

 Vincent Van Gogh: Arena at Arles

 Vincent Van Gogh: The white house at night 1890

 Vincent Van Gogh: Morning, going out to work 1890


 Vincent Van Gogh: Lilac  Bush 1889

I spent all morning wandering through the galleries. By lunch time I was more than ready for a sit down and something to eat. I stayed in the Hermitage and used the cafe there which was reasonably priced and anyway I couldn't be bothered to look for somewhere else. I stayed there for quite a while replenishing my energy over a sandwich, cake and cup of tea deciding on where to visit next in St Petersburg.

14 comments:

  1. Now I am truly in love! The Hermitage has the most amazing architecture outside and inside, the display corridors are totally inviting. I don't like the Matisses and Picassos, but the Pissarros, Renoirs, Monets and Sisleys are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have huge collections of art there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Renoir paintings are my favorites, but they are all wonderful. Thank you for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the Monets that are my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful museum! Nice you could avoid the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I've absorbed my culture for the day. "Music" is my goofy favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just amazing. I’m kind of shocked they didn’t keep that room darker, not just because you had to work so hard to get pics, but also because I would think the bright light would be hard on these treasured paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you got to miss the queues and get such great photos of some wonderful artworks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a thrill to see these works of the great masters in person. Very clever of your to scout out the entrance without a line. All the more time and energy to spend on the paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this post. What wonderful, wonderful art.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad that you missed the queue! How amazing that you got to see these incredible paintings up close in person. Thank you so much for sharing the photos.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  12. There were so many people inside when I was there and it was so badly organized that I only could see a few paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are some great works of art. Even at home I am surprised how often galleries don't get the lighting of works of art right. Some of the lesser places here in England too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.