Wednesday 23 January 2019

Demolition

On my way to London Bridge yesterday I came across this building which was being demolished. I am sure this machine has another name than just a demolition crane but I don't know what that might be.
This is a very built up area and I was fascinated to see how they were going to do it without causing damage to other buildings or pedestrians who were walking within 20 metres of the demolition. I assume a wrecking ball would not give the operator the control he needs in this kind of area.
 It was interesting to note how much water was being sprayed onto the building to prevent the dust covering a wide area. There was someone operating a hose from the ground as well as water coming from the crane.

These close ups show the massive pincers that were dismantling the building piece by piece.
It reminded me of dismantling a lego model.












Such a delicate touch.

Here was the operator, eyes glued on the job in hand.

12 comments:

  1. Watched them taking a bridge apart years ago, would not want to be on the recieveing end of the jaws. I think they are called 360's as they rotate around 360 deg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a T-Rex munching the building! Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just think of the massive power of those pincers. Hydraulic I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen similar items in use here for that kind of work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! without damaging anything in such a congested area!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would be interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes fascinating is this, I have been watching such a demolishing myself once. Amazing, it looked like a dinosaur was eating the building away!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I've never seen a wrecking ball or the Jaws of Un-life before. You come up with some doozies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure my sister would agree with your Lego connection in this case. Brick by brick in her case! Mind you, this of course wasn't Lego and could therefore be handled a bit rougher.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought it amusing that the machine appears to be named "Dad".

    ReplyDelete
  11. That takes some real skill! Serendipitous on your part ! Thanks for sharing (and this one gets thanks from my husband too..he likes sidewalk superintending!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.