Wednesday 16 January 2019

City of London Distillery

 Gin distilleries seem to be popping up all over. This one is in the City of London under the watchful eye of Wren's St Bride's church.




 The gin craze was immortalised in Hogarth's notorious print 'Gin Lane'. By 1730 there were more than 7000 gin  shops in the City of London. Known as 'Mother's ruin', gin was responsible for widespread alcoholism, violence and social breakdown. It wasn't until the gin act of 1751 that things started to improve. Gin could only be sold from licensed premises. It was a turning point in the social history of London.
 

 This distillery on St Bride's Lane is the first distillery in the City of London for 200 years. It describes itself  as a small batch distillery producing about 1000 bottles a week.


 The bar and distillery are in the basement of what used to be a restaurant. Myself and a friend went along on Saturday to a gin tasting afternoon. They produce five different gins here and we enjoyed tasting all of them.

 A particular favourite was the Christopher Wren gin. It was a very pleasant way to spend a Saturday afternoon!


17 comments:

  1. No could not drink that stuff any more, drunk enough when I was younger, never again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never acquired the taste for many hard liquors. Had my first and only martinis in a restaurant in London in 2014. Haven't had any since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a gin (or spirit)drinker. However I do like a glass of Pimms and it was only recently I noted that it's gin based! So not my idea of the best way to spend an afternoon but I know a few people who would probably enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The place looks inviting, though admittedly I've never had a taste for alcohol, from wine up to the hard stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For a specific period, I am sure that gin really WAS responsible for widespread alcoholism, poor childrearing and social breakdown, yes. But I was examining the impact of Prohibition on American life after WW1 and was devastated by the political corruption, gun murders, gangster gangs etc etc.

    Britain's Gin Act of 1751 was a much more moral and legal response to alcoholism.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't drink any alcoholic beverage. But I always love your London diary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How interesting! I didn't know gin was so popular in the olden days of England. Where I live vodka and whiskey seem to be the in thing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very pleasant afternoon, I am sure. I don't think the gin of old tasted anything like our present day gins. It's good to see a revived interest in gin. Just some ice and a splash of tonic, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your excursions to different parts and places in London! This one was a hoot! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never got the taste of gin. Nor the Dutch counterpart (jenever). But distilleries are always a lot of fun I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was my drink of choice back in the day. Haven't had a drop in 40 years and don't miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting history.I love red wine but can't manage spirits of any kind. Glad you had a fun time there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never tried a gin, I don't like those "strong" alcoholics, I prefer wines :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. In the summer I have been known to have a gin and tonic with a slice of lime....very refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was fascinated with Hogarth’s print, never having seen it before. Had to look it up and found it even more interesting —it was created alongside a print that showed the VIRTUES of drinking beer, compared to the horrors of gin drinkers. Now i can feel quite virtuous because i don’t like gin!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's an interesting place to see, although my drink of choice comes from north of the border.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Way back when, (too long ago) when we were there we got a coupon book with our transportation passes and one of them was for admission to a gin visitor center. I can’t remember where it was or what it was called..it was in a basement sort of place. We enjoyed it and I remember at the end, most people (me included) were happy with all the tastes we’d had, but the tour guide offered to make a martini for anyone who wanted one .... Bill accepted! He said it was a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.