Sunday 30 December 2018

Goodbye to 2018

As the year nears its end it is time to reflect. There have been some joyous occasions with the safe arrival of my grandson last January. A shaky start in life for him, but I am pleased to say he is now thriving and almost walking. My son was married on a beautiful June day to his wonderful bride. They had already moved to Leeds back in February and I still miss having them live close by. However, it gives me a reason to travel north again, something I hadn't done since Mum died in 2017.


My travels took me to five new countries: Denmark. Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Finland and Croatia. All of which were fascinating and exciting. I am still leading walks through the picturesque Kent countryside for the U3A. My long distance walk took me to Northern Spain and a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.



I have tried to keep up with blogging on a regular basis as well as visiting and commenting on your blogs. It is not always that easy. I have only written about 12 new stations on  my 'Above the Underground' series which is not enough so need to do better next year. But at least I have managed to complete a third of the Underground stations. Ok, if I carry on at this rate I will be in my mid eighties before I have visited all the stations!



I am looking forward to 2019, even though the country will have numerous problems to solve as we edge closer to leaving the EU, I have confidence that all will be well eventually. Travelling may involve a lot more visa applications but c'est la vie. I thank all of you for following me this year and wish you all  a happy and healthy 2019.

24 comments:

  1. I like the countries you selected to travel to, it is grand to go to new places. As I commented earlier this year, I would so much like to hike the Camino or Pilgrim's Way. The closest I have come is to read books about it. Did you read the book by the German comedian about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always like to tead your blog and follow your travels.. We are not able to travel far anymore helas due to health problems, but I love to read ablout other countries. I wish you a very happy 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed those countries you visited, since I'm not likely to get there myself. Your pictures were also very interesting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved traveling with you... on both your wonderful blogs ... and look forward to more in 2019. I’m sure you’ll still be walking around London in your mid 80s, as good shape as you’re in ... but that book is waiting to be published! ... I’m glad your grandson is doing well. .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our very best wishes to you for 2019 and thank you for both your travel posts and the always interesting above the stations walks. So it is feasible that you can complete each line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely a busy year and I've enjoyed tagging along on your travels and walks. Visiting the stations must be time consuming especially with all the research etc so I wouldn't fret over how many you get done. Maybe celebrate the number done rather than dwelling on how many left. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve enjoyed every post and look forward to your 2019 adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wedding are usual wonderful.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such happy news about your grandson and the rest of your family. I don’t doubt you will be walking all our legs off well into your 90s, let alone 80s! Happy New Year, my friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have had a busy year. I too had a grandchild born this past Jan...and have traveled in a new direction for me(east). I also share the fact that sometimes it is difficult to get to my blog...and others. Best of luck in the new year...sounds like you have it all planned out. Janey

    ReplyDelete
  11. A happy and healthy 2019 to you too! Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year. I look forward to reading your future posts for 2019.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed all the countries you visited and am so glad you took us along vicariously. May 2019 be a bit more peaceful for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. At the back of my mind, I’ve wondered if one day we’ll all discover that Brexit was a very strategic Russian plot. I doubt any possible future inconveniences will ever stop your adventures though. Wishing you all the best in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your last year sounds like a very busy one and full of interesting things.Thanks for taking us along with you on your adventures and I hope you have many more enjoyable ones in this new year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you had a wonderful year full of travels! I loved following along on your adventures and look forward to more in 2019. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you had an amazing year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have a great new year! Your above the ground posts are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have a great New Year with lots of new travels and walks and family visits.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It’s been also hard for me to blog and visit other blogs frequently. That’s why it’s february and I’m only now coming here to wish you a great 2019! I hope it’s not too late!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.