Sunday 15 July 2018

Playing at Wimbledon

On Friday I was at Wimbledon to watch the men's semi finals with my daughter- in -law. Centre Court doesn't open until 1 pm so we had time to watch some of the matches going on on the outer courts. On Court 12 there was a Veterans match going on with Greg Resedski partnering Fabrice Santoro against Clements and McLagan. I offered a helpful comment to Greg which he heard and as a consequence he came to find me in the stands and asked me to take his place on the court! What an opportunity. Playing tennis at Wimbledon. Definitely a day to remember.





My d-i-l videoed it but I doubt it has downloaded.




After that excitement we went to Centre Cort to watch the longest semi final match ever between Kevin Anderson and John Isner. It didn't make for a good match to watch as these two are very fast servers and they couldn't break one another's serve so not that many rallies. After nearly 6 and a half hours Anderson finally won and then we were treated to the highlight of the day, Djokovic versus Nadal. This match was very different. Fast and exciting rallies.

 After 11pm the match had to be suspended to be completed the following day. Wimbledon Tennis Club is in the middle of a residential area and matches are not allowed to continue playing after 11pm. It is a great pity they didn't put this match on first but there you go we had to watch Djokovic go on to win the match on TV the next day.

Sharing with Our World Tuesday




19 comments:

  1. At first I thought you were describing a dream until I looked at the photo properly! How brilliant you were playing tennis at Wimbledon! And with Greg Rusedski to help you too!

    I only watch tennis on the ferry, since there isn't much else to do (apart from sleeping really).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, congratulations on playing tennis at Wimbledon. Amazing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow playing on Wimbledon, you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. To be there was splendid but to play there? Double wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We never watch Tennis, but for you it was certainly a very nice day !

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting to play at Wimbledon. The last match would have been a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a thrilling time for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! How wonderful for you ~ playing at Wimbledon! Great photos! Bravo!

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a treat for you! And now you can just drop into any conversation, "When I played at Wimbledon ..."!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I retire at the end of this academic year (mid December) and worry about how to fill in the days. Daytime-tv would turn the mind to mush, coffee with the girls might be doable once a week, travel by plane will be impossible on health grounds and the grand children have their own busy schedules. Thank goodness for blogging and for two academic conferences a year.

    So I will rely on this and other blogs to keep me in contact with rest of the world. Joe and I lived abroad for 5 years and saw two Wimbledon back in the early 1970s. Great experiences!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh!! That is definitely one for your memory book. (What a terrible shame you don't have anything exciting to do during your retirement )))!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, how awesome that you got to play at Wimbledon! There can’t be many who have done it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.