Wednesday 18 July 2018

100 years of the RAF


2018 is the centenary year of the founding of the RAF. To commemorate the event, last week there was a flypast of 100 aircraft down The Mall and over Buckingham Palace.
 The Mall was crowded but I managed to find a space not too far from the Palace.




The Royal Standard flag was flying so we knew the Queen was in residence.
The crowd patiently waited for the sounds of the first aircaft approaching.



The doors opened and the Royal Family appeared on the balcony.
From left to right Prince Edward, his wife Sophie, Prince Charles and his wife Camilla,  The Queen, Meghan  and Prince Harry.

Behind the lamp was Prince William and then his wife Kate, Princess Anne and her husband, Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence.














I have no idea of the correct name of any of the aircraft so I'll just call these helicopters!
Hurricane and spitfires?













Typhoons?
The red arrows




Oh good. Prince William has come out from behind the lamppost.
It was an excellent show. Not sure how they had managed to get all these aircraft in the skies above London at the same time and coordinated their arrival over The Mall within seconds of one another. Now all I had to do was fight my way back through the crowds to the train station.

16 comments:

  1. Quite a parade of them. Last year on the Canada Day weekend I recall a fly past of numerous military aircraft, one after the other for awhile. It was something to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The coloured trails are spectacular. I haven't seen a photo of Princess Anne for a long time. She looks quite youthful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fine flypast I would have loved to have seen that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice pictures ! You probably zoomed to a max to take a picture of the Royals, because each time I see the balcony it seems so far away that I think they must have the size of a flea ! Our King and Queen were also there I think !

    ReplyDelete
  5. You managed very well to photograph the royal family on the balcony. It is very far away normally. It was quite a show with all the aircrafts coming over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOWWOW!! I am sure the trek back through the crowds to the train station was well worth this experience. And so kind of Prince William to step out from behind the lamp post in time for your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful aerial display. Congratulations to the RAF for their centenarian celebration. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That must have been something to see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to see some old planes during the Open Days of the Dutch Air Force, but never in those numbers. It must have made quite a bit of noise though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How neat, an air show and royal show at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey - you did really well with those photographs; you must be dead chuffed! I'm deeply envious! Your second photo is the Battle of Britain flight - the Lancaster bomber surrounded by Spitfires and Hurricanes. The Spitfires are the ones with the kind of elliptical wings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky you to be able to get such good photos. I was up in Muswell Hill so missed it unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fascinating thing to see. My father was in the RAF.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The planes put on a great show and I'm really really thrilled that you were able to get your very own pictures of those folks on the balcony! (Slightly embarrassed to admit I'd probably have let somebody else take the pictures looking up if I had been in such a great position for the balcony photos!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Lovely photos and tribute to RAF anniversary ~

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool! Love the air show.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.