Wednesday 27 July 2016

Leighton House Museum (London Museum #27)



Leighton House Museum is in Kensington, West London. The home of Lord Frederic Leighton (1830-1896), a Victorian artist


Leighton House Museum, London, UNITED KINGDOM | 2012 EU PRIZ ...Photography is not allowed so I have taken these from the internet to give you an idea of the opulent interior. This is the Arab Hall, designed to to display Leighton's collection of Islamic tiles. There is a golden frieze surrounding the domed ceiling. In the centre of the room is a fountain.









Photos courtesy of Flickr share





Another room has marble pillars and brilliant blue tiles.














Upstairs you can see his studio with its large window which encouraged other artists to move into the road to live in similar houses. They must have been wealthy artists to live in this area.

9 comments:

  1. Looks like it was gorgeous... I am SO into photography that I don't like going to places which do not allow photographs... Biltmore is an example for us. We seldom go into the home/mansion because photography is not allowed. We just enjoy grounds and other areas there.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in Kensington now would surely destroy any artistic spirit, not that any could afford it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He must have been a wealthy man to live in that house and seeing the interior.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats what I was thinking. I didn't think artists were able to afford to live like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Thanks for sharing. Wish I could visit there myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks very luxurious ! I am always angry when I am not allowed to photograph. I can understand that flash damages paintings, but without flash it should be allowed, but of course they want to sell their pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Presumably if he was a Lord he would have inherited money enabling to have the lifestyle of an artist. Very opulent house. Shame you weren't able to take your usually excellent photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.