Friday 26 April 2024

Day 3: East Ilsley to Letcombe Regis

 

After a very difficult night I decided I wouldn't walk today. I messaged my doctor back in London to see if was possible for her to prescribe some antibiotics for me that I could collect from a pharmacy in the nearest  town. I chose the small town of Wantage which would be the closest to where everyone would be staying tonight. Today's walk of 11 miles on an exposed ridgeway was going to be too much for me. Sometimes you just know.   I wasn't ready to give in and go home but I thought a day of taking it easy might help me get through the week. The only way for me to get to Wantage would be via a taxi.
After waving the others off I thought it would be easy to arrange transport. Not so. The majority of taxi firms I contacted only dealt with prearranged trips and didn't have any vehicles available that day. Eventually I found a much bigger company ( I think they were based in Reading) that could pick me up within the hour and drive me the 9 miles to Wantage. 


After that it worked well. By the time I got to the pharmacist in Wantage the antibiotics were waiting for me. I then had plenty of time to look around the town. I started at the Vale and Downland Museum which had exhibits from fossils to a Formula One racing car.   
A bust of John Betjeman (1906-84) adorns the front of the museum. An English poet and writer who I assume must have lived in the locality at some point.  








There was a skeleton of an Anglo Saxon woman from 526-575AD

Market Cross given to the Lord of the manor in 1580. the cross was probably destroyed by Cromwell's army. these pieces were discovered in a garden in the 19th cent.




Williams Racing is a Formula One team based in Wantage and usually there is a Formula One car on display in the museum but they are updating the display so there was nothing there today.

I wandered round the town, through the square,
browsed in a bookshop and then found a cafe to have some lunch.



This used to be an Old Town Hall built in 1877.




After lunch I made my way out of town for the 2 mile walk to the pub in Letcombe Regis where we would be staying that night.















I walked on the roads as I didn't have a map to help me find the right footpath.













I got to The Greyhound about an hour before the others. Too early to check in so once the others arrived we all had a cream tea in the garden (scones, strawberry jam and clotted cream).
We have been so lucky with the weather. Although showers were forecast we somehow keep managing to dodge them.






There was still time left to have a look around the village before our rooms were ready.




Once we were able to check in, I went for a rest. The rooms were very spacious and Tina and I even had a small lounge. The food was also excellent.


So it was fingers crossed that I would feel well enough to continue the walk in the morning.


9 comments:

  1. What a shame you were unwell but good that not only could you get through to your GP but that the prescription was ready for you to collect. Looked like you still had an interesting day though. Hope you were up for walking the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You missed out seeing the Mural along the A34 underpass showing the battle of Ashdown and also seeing the Harwell site where I used to work. You are one up on me as I have not been in that Museum in Wantage

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a pity that you had to ask for antibiotics ! But you are right, better to loose one day then the whole week ! I always ask my doctor to prescribe me antibiotics which I only use if necessary, but at least I don't have to ask them. Except in Egypt, they have much better medication ! I can say that because since 2008 I am going there each year, except the last 5 years. The houses look so cute, I have seen that in the North of Germany all houses are thatched and timbered, in small towns and on the islands. I have never been there but the houses look very much alike. I want so much to travel, but I don't dare. Most of the time I really feel well and walk normally but there are days when it is humid or I don't know what, I walk 10 steps and then I have to sit down !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad that you had to pass on this segment of the journey, but better to recover and get ready for the balance of the trek. I hope the antibiotics did the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great journey seeing the township and the skeleton

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if it's the angle of the photo but it looks like the anglo saxon woman is quite tall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pleased the GP arranged the antibiotics for you, I hope they are helping.
    I enjoyed seeing your photographs, the thatched roofs are nice.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you're writing this after you've come back, but still in suspense about how you did the next day. Usually antibiotics are pretty fast working. Did you drink lots of cranberry juice too?
    I'd like to read more about how that skeleton was found.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing worse than getting sick away from home. I hope the antibiotics do their job and you can get back on the track.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.