Tuesday 5 September 2023

Freddie Mercury at Sotheby's

 


This week is the start of six auctions at Sotheby's entitled, Freddie Mercury: A world of his own. The items on sale include art, fashion, musical instruments, personal papers, possessions , photographs, furniture, jewellery and much more.

Mary Austin, Freddie's closest friend and 'common law wife' who became the owner of all his possessions after his death in Nov 1991 has decided to sell them. She said in an interview that after living with them for over 30 years it was time to put her affairs in order.


Every room at Sotheby's auction house in London has been used to display the many items up for sale. The public has been able to view the items for the last four weeks. Yesterday I joined the queue to see this once in a lifetime exhibition. 

Before being brought to Sotherby's, all the items remained in place at his home, Garden Lodge, in West London. As you can imagine the sale has attracted thousands of people to the auction room so it wasn't that easy to take photos. Members of staff and security were moving people on as quickly as possible. Here are some photos of his clothing. As these are auction lots and not museum exhibits there was very little information. If you are a fan of Freddie Mercury then I'm sure you will recognise some of these outfits.














 


 













I am so pleased I got to see this exhibition as these items will never again all be in one place. These photos just show a fraction of the items being sold. I will show you more in my next post.

9 comments:

  1. The outfits look dazzling and special

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were great to see. I look forward to some more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The items worth saving and exhibiting should definitely be bought by one person/organisation and kept together. Freddie was too important to break up his treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ilike this exhibition and am amazed there are so may items to look at. I alwasys was a fan of his performences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would be interesting to see where they all end up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had planned to visit the exhibition, I like Freddy Mercury very much. I had "Love of my life" sang on Rick's funeral. Unfortunately I don't dare with my breathing problems. Have an appointment Friday at the lung doctor. That spoils me my life, after a few km I am breathless and have to sit down. Spoiled already my river cruise. Probably it is psychological I am still under the shock.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guess who was VERY interested in your Freddy's posts ? My son !! who was here to see my "castle" and the take the mesures of everything and did a few reparations. It is so hot today that he left already now. It's Sunday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pleased you got to this exhibition and shared some great photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.