Wednesday 28 June 2023

Chicago Day 4

  It was a beautiful warm day so we walked to the Willis Tower (Sear's Tower) where we had booked to go up to the Skydeck on the 103rd floor, as part of the Citypass deal.  It wasn't that busy so we got up there very quickly.

 As well as looking out through the windows there was an enclosed glass ledge which you could go out onto. It didn't cost anymore so I thought I would give it a try to see if I had the nerve. I just about managed it as I only looked down very briefly which did freak me out a bit.











It was a hazy day so the views weren't that great.


These elevated train tracks encircle the Loop, the centre of Chicago's business district.  This was our fourth day in the city and we still hadn't travelled on the 'loop'. So off we went to try and find someone to explain what tickets we would need and which line to travel on so as to go around the Loop and not out of the city. We climbed the iron staircase up to a platform where an extremely helpful and patient railway worker helps us buy the tickets and put us on a train going in the right direction. It was a great view travelling on the 'L'.

We also discovered that a day pass for the subway, 'L' line and the buses cost just $5 a day. After that we used  public transport all over the city.

 We went round on the Loop and then changed to the red line to go out to the Museum Campus.
It was our first really warm, sunny day so we decided to buy a sandwich and eat it by the lake. As part of the CityPass deal we booked a ticket for the aquarium. It was impressive with lots to see. There was more variety on show than most aquariums have with river, lake as well as ocean fish.






It was just too nice a day to go back to the hotel so we walked round the lake to the marina. We found a cafe by the lake and enjoyed sitting out and having a drink. I had a couple of G and T's and felt as though I had drunk half a bottle of gin. Definitely needed some chicken tenders and chips to soak up the drink. 



It really felt like we were on holiday sitting out in the sunshine.


We  walked back to the hotel via the Riverwalk listening to some country music on the way.



9 comments:

  1. I don't know if I would have the nerve to walk onto that glass floor in the Willis Tower. Good for you for doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great adventure! I see the weather got a lot worse today, from those fires. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! So glad to find you again and here you are in the USA ~ great series of photos of Chicago ~ can see you are having a good time ~ thanks for great photos
    `

    Wishing you good health, laughter, and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The creature in the first photo is I suppose a fish of some kind. Weird.
    I think for the full glass floor experience, there should be a recording of the sound of cracking glass playing at intervals.
    The daily public transport fare is very cheap.
    Such perfect days as this one was for you will be what you most remember about your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did they ask you if you were over twenty one ?? It's a nice town isn't it !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel nervous just looking at those photos from the Skydeck - whatever happened to the young man who used to be so fearless? The aquarium and the cafe are more my style these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's an old photograph of a steel worker standing on a girder high above NY City. Every time I've seen that (last time last week) I get a very queasy feeling. I imagine I'd feel the same way going out on that glass floor. Brave you to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done for standing on the glass ledge. Not sure if I would be brave enough or not. Perhaps I'll need to plan a visit to Chicago to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bravo to you for stepping out onto the glass.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.