Monday 2 January 2023

New Year's Day Parade

  It was a mild day so I decided to go and watch the New Year's Day Parade in central London. It has been a few years since I was last at this annual event. Covid, of course, has meant the cancellation of the event in recent years. The parade had already started when I arrived but I was still not prepared for the number of people lining the streets. It was impossible to see anything along the route.

Having been to the event before I know the side streets where participants have to wait before they join the main parade. This is where all the rest of these photos were taken.







Most of these marching bands are from the USA. As well as travelling over here for the parade they take part in other concerts etc.


I lost count of the number of different bands waiting to move from their position around Berkeley Square.







I would like to have seen much more of the parade, but there were far too many people watching to allow me to get anywhere near. In future I need to be there much, much earlier.

14 comments:

  1. How astonishing that bands from the US come all the way here just to march through London - had no idea. Actually I didn't even know there was such a thing as a New Year parade! Good to learn new things

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, rather interesting that US bands visit for the parade. Busy perhaps because of the mild day and peoples' sense of Covid deprivations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you managed to get such good photos to share with us. I expect lots of people were making up for the last couple of years and attended this year - especially with the better weather. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a parade, especially the marching bands! I'm a former band parent - both my kids marched competitively in high school. I'm surprised that so many American bands traveled to England. I assume the schools in your country have marching bands too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun thing to do on New Year's Day. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The parade is so much fun to watch. One of the biggest hassles is to get there early sitting and waiting

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least you got to see a bit of the parade with your insider’s knowledge of London! I bet a lot of people were unable to catch any of it with those crowds. Wishing you a happy and healthy and adventure-full New Year, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The coloured costumes and headgear on the matching band members look wonderful, especially since you are in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you are enjoying your lie in. I just went to the freezer in the garage and got wet through - again. Another day inside !

    ReplyDelete
  10. You could take nice pictures ! I too know little streets or cafés from where I have a good overview. This year I was not so keen to celebrate New Year. But it was nice with my neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a parade, I love parades. there is a sense of joy in the music.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You got some very good photographs, so pleased you knew about the side-streets.

    I hope you are enjoying your January days.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did well considering the number of people. I don't like crowds.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.