Tuesday 25 September 2018

The Baltic Way

I returned yesterday from Finland following my trip to the Baltic states of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. It was a really enjoyable trip helped by the sunny and warm weather which was unexpected. I thought I would share these three photos with a brief explanation of their historical importance.
This is one of the pavement tiles in Cathedral Square, Vilnius, Lithuania. The word Stebuklas means 'miracle' and it is said that if you make a wish whilst turning 360 deg on the tile it will come true. It also marks one end of the Baltic Way which was a human chain of approx two million people holding hands  from Vilnius, Lithuania through Riga in Latvia to Tallin in Estonia. A distance of over 600km.

Riga, Latvia
This peaceful demonstration on 23rd August 1989 was to show unity between the Baltic states in their efforts towards freedom. The Baltic States were occupied by the Soviet Union in 1940 after a secret agreement between Nazi Germany and the USSR known as the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact signed on 23rd August 1939. After the war the Soviet Union denied the existence of the pact and continued to occupy the Baltic States stating that they had voluntarily joined the Soviet Union.

Tallin, Estonia
In August 1989 Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia demanded the Soviet Union acknowledged the existence of the pact and renewed independence of the Baltic States. Following the demonstration the USSR agreed and declared it the pact invalid. Within 7 months of the Baltic Way, Lithuania became the first of the Baltic States to declare its independence followed by Latvia and Estonia in 1991.

16 comments:

  1. What interesting history! The Baltic States are on my list of places to see, especially Estonia, for the simple reason that my son's name is Eston. It is an old family name from my father's side and his great grandparents were from Poland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You take such interesting trips. I certainly enjoy reading your posts... Do you have an overall favorite trip? When people ask me that, I can only pick and choose areas within several trips.....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fantastic outcome for this event. I am thrilled to know about it and wish I could have been part of it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. I hope they retain their independence in a world with people like Putin and Trump in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is some interesting history, and not that long ago. I can't remember the human chain but I expect it did not receive much coverage here. I look forward to hearing and seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting history and shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for that information. It wasn't something I was aware of. Look forward to hearing more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember that Human chain, didn't realize the full meaning of that then. Great action!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too had never heard of this. We had a young exchange student from Estonia living with us a few years ago. Looking forward to more photos. Janey

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's just a little over a month ago I have been there ! Now you will show me other pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Huge piece of history - how the world has changed in that short time. Thoughtful post - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's an interesting choice for travel. Are there many English-speakers? My daughter's cello teacher was from Riga where she was quite a famous cellist before fleeing with her family to the US during the Russian occupation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The intersection marks a most important moment in history.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for changing to pop up. My problem was resolved so if you want to switch back, that's okay by me.

    I never heard that story of the Baltic way. What an organizing feat to accomplish that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm fascinated by your pictures! I've never been to Lithuania, but it looks like an amazing place. The church interior reminds me so much of Engelszell Abbey in Austria. Looking forward to reading more about your trip!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.