Monday 18 June 2018

El Camino Ingles

I have just returned from walking to Santiago de Compostela along  the Camino Ingles. If any of you have seen the film 'The Way' with Martin Sheen you will be familiar with El Camino or 'The Way of St James'.
There are numerous routes leading  to the Cathedral of St James in Santiago de Compostela in the North East of Spain. The most famous of these is the French Way and the longest at 780 km. We did the English route which is only 130 km. This is the route the English pilgrims would have taken after landing at the port of Ferrol.


This map shows the route we took from Ferrol. You must walk at least 100km to be awarded a Compostela.

The essentials for the walk. The credential del peregrino (the pilgrim's passport). This document must be stamped along the route to prove that you have walked the whole way. The scallop shell is the sign of St James and is carried by many of the walkers and the yellow arrow and waymarker was invaluable in finding your way along the route.

The completed credential .alongside the Compostela. You can get it stamped at hotels, hostels, bars, restaurants,churches etc..

Over the next few posts I will share some of the photos we took along the way.



Sharing with  Our World Tuesday


15 comments:

  1. I would love to do that walk and the Martin Sheen movie is one of my favorite all time movies. I read several books about walking the way, including one by a German comedian. It seems everyone grows and changes along the Way and as a Christian it would be very meaningful for me. Good for you for doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. COngratulations! What an accomplishment. I look forward to reading about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice! I'm looking forward to reading about your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats... That is awesome. I had another blog friend who did this 'walk' several years ago (she no longer blogs though) --and wrote about it on her Blog at the time.... I will enjoy seeing your photos along the way. (That is about 81 miles... WOW. I'm impressed.)

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to hearing all about your walk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have many friends who have done all or part of this walk. I'm glad I'll get to see your adventures on the Camino! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard of this walk at some point. Quite a journey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did see the movie and enjoyed it. That is quite a walk. Kudos big time. Thanks for letting us come along vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that's an accomplishment - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I note at least one stamp by a bar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that is great you made the walk, have read several book about it. Looking forward to your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fantastic. You will surely treasure the seashell as a sign you are truly living life on the right path. What a healthy, satisfying and interesting journey!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, of course you took the English way! Can't wait for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have a trail here in Powell River called the Sunshine Coast Trail. There is a passport system that you can get stamped if you hike each segment and stop at one of the free overnight huts. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done. A friend of mine did it last year but I'm not sure they completed the whole thing or got a passport. I will have to enquire!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.