Monday 24 July 2017

Rye


Rye is a small town in East Sussex. During medieval times it was surrounded by sea but now stands approximately two miles from the coast and is at the confluence of three rivers, the Rother, the Brede and the Tillingham.


With its winding cobbled streets and wide range of antique shops, art galleries and cafes, it is a magnet for tourists visiting this historic area.
The oldest part of the town is higher than the rest of the town in the medieval citadel.










Built in the early 14th century this is the second oldest building in Rye (the oldest being St Mary's Church). Known also as Ypres Tower, the building began life as a defensive fort then a private home, prison, mortuary and now a museum.



From the balcony of the castle you look out over farmland but this used to be one of the largest and most important harbours in the country. In the 16th century it was England's seventh busiest port.


Not far from the castle is St Mary's church.



The square around the church has a number of Tudor buildings and seems little has changed over the centuries.











The stocks used during medieval times as a form of punishment and humiliation.









The Mermaid Inn rebuilt in 1420 has cellars dating back to 1156.



Rye has been home to a number of writers and artists. This house was the home of the American novelist, Henry James who lived here between 1898 and 1916. It is now owned by The National Trust.


The house has a beautiful garden with this magnificent old mulberry tree which even had mulberries on it, which was a first for me.






There was no cafĂ© but in the garden there was a walking stick with a buzzer attached to it. Press the buzzer and a gentleman, who lives here as a tenant of the National Trust, will gladly provide you with a pot of tea and cake for a reasonable charge.




17 comments:

  1. I wonder if this town is where the original rye bread was baked. Thanks for the great tour. I have never actually seen an ancient medieval stock like that one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our mock Tudor looks so much neater than your real Tudor. Rye looks like a great place for tourists to visit and it is rather different to our State of Victoria, seaside Rye. I need one of those buttons next to my bed to summon a gentleman waiter. Do you think he could bring a single malt instead of tea?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a dear town! I adore the wee castle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those Tudor houses. I love that type of architecture.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the narrow winding lanes and the historic buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What history and story could be told with those wonderful houses, countryside and cobblestone streets (which I love ) ~ Wonderful series of photos ~ ^_^

    Have new blog design and now post daily ~ hope you will check it out ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an extraordinarily beautiful town - it looks like England as we dream of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's on the list :). Looks a wonderful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post, I always like the typical Tudor houses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not been there yet either, your providing me with lots of places to visit. Like the idea of a pot of tea on the lawn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful tour of the town with interesting structures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tour. I was expecting another stop on the tube posts you've been doing. I think I read a book that took place in Rye - The Summer Before the War. Have you read that one and if so am I right that it took place in Rye?
    We have a new granddaughter, born on the 21st. First child of our younger daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the idea of the buzzer for a pot of tea. Long time since we visited Rye. Time to go back I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where are the tourists? And what happened to the sea? Maybe with climate change and sea rise Rye will become a seaport once again! I love those old Tudor buildings .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reading your blogpost is almost like reading a Bill Bryson book. I have seen only a small part of England, plus perhaps a little more than that of Scotland, and one quick drive-by in Wales, so it is always wonderful for me to see photos such as yours, and to read your commentary. There are no half-timbered buildings in western Canada, and our old (that's old by our standards) fortifications would never have withstood a siege such as those Britain has seen.
    —Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those Tudor houses. I love that type of architecture.


    เย็ดสาว

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.