Wednesday 29 March 2017

Day 3 San Francisco

Looking for a different place for breakfast we wandered into the Tenderloin area of San Francisco which was very close to where we were staying. There was a large number of homeless people on the streets as well as drug addicts. Apparently they gather in this area because there are 3 local churches that provide free meals twice a day. Noticed this impressive looking theatre as we looking for a diner.


The Orpheum theatre was originally a vaudeville house and then a movie cinema but probably better known as the theatre where Hair was first performed.

Eventually found somewhere to eat and afterwards caught a bus to Alamo Square to have a look at the row of Victorian houses with the city in the background.


Another reason for being in this part of town was to wander over to Haight-Ashbury, the centre of the Hippie world in the 60s. I couldn't come to San Francisco and not see where it all started. Maybe I should have brought my Afghan coat with me (yes I did have one!) or at the very least I should have worn some flowers in my hair.




There were a few signs still around but more for the tourists buying  their souvenirs.






From there we made our way into Golden Gate Park. It is 3 mils long and half a mile wide so it was impossible to see all that it had to offer.


 The park is credited with having the very first children's playground in the U.S as well as this Herschel-Spillman Carousel built in 1912 .

There are some beautiful walks through the park as well as every activity going from fishing to golf.



.
There is even a Dutch windmill, a present from Queen Wilhelmina in 1902.






We walked the length of the park which brought us out at Ocean beach. By now the weather had changed from a dull cloudy day to a very sunny, clear blue skies day. The beach was beautiful with huge waves crashing onto the sand.




We took our shoes off to dip our toes into the Pacific Ocean but it was far too cold to go any further. It had been a long day so we were fortunate to be able to get a bus back to Market Street just a few minutes walk from the hotel.







13 comments:

  1. This is fun to see. I have only been to San Francisco once years ago passing thru from Los Angeles to Northern California. It's on the list :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very enjoyable post and a little trip down memory lane. One has to be of a certain age to know what an Afghan coat is. It is something I have not thought about for decades. Of course, I was too young to own one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, those were the days in the sixties who doesn't remember them! I am surprised to see Queen Wilhelmina offered a windmill, I read it had to do with a gift of tulips to San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I visited Turkey I did the same thing, I took my shoes off so I could put my feet in the Mediterranean Sea. It was cold, too. Thanks for taking me along on your visit to San Francisco. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been very interesting to get to know more of San Francisco with your posts! You seem to have covered a lot of it, including Alcatraz and different neighbourhoods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some lovely hiking. I'm withholding my envy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I once ran a marathon in San Francisco that went all the way around Golden Gate Park and down the Great Highway. You did a great job seeing all the highlights in this wonderful city.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos of the park are especially interesting. We have a trip planned in June and I haven't been to the park in so long I can't picture it in my mind. Love the beach shots, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a great day. I remember going to Haight Ashbury last time I was in SF, and thought it was very rundown. I'm a big fan of San Francisco bands like the Grateful Dead (who I've seen in concert a few times) so it was nice to see, but one of the few disappointments I've had in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh it's good you caught the bus that time ! I would love to go back to SF -- especially that Park -- it really is so wonderful. And yes, the Pacific Ocean is cold!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been to all of these places...but I enjoyed you taking us along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting to see Haight-Ashbury as it is today, and that they have kept a bit its flavor for visitors. I would have loved to have seen it in its day! I do think you should dig up a photo of yourself in your Afghan coat. Or maybe take a new one? I think it's amazing you kept it this long. My fashion statements from my Flower Child days are long gone (sniff, sniff)!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.