Friday 29 April 2016

National Archaeological Museum, Naples

 It took three visits to the Archaeological Museum before I finally saw the mosaics from Pompeii. On my first visit on Sunday the rooms containing Pompeii antiquities were closed but the rest of the Museum was open. I wandered around and in the garden saw these three figures, part of a superhero exhibition by Adrian Tranquilli. There were many of his figures throughout  the museum. ( They were exhibited as a future civilisation amongst the ancient civilisations of the Museum's permanent collection.) Ideal for Weekend Reflection




On Tuesday I forgot the Museum closed for the day but on my last full day in Naples I finally got to see what I wanted. It was worth all the effort. I was bowled over by the colours, detail and size of the mosaics. Most of the mosaics shown here were from walls and vaulted ceilings in Pompeii. Used for decoration and to record events or images of family members and pets, some were just 20cm square. I do not recall any detailed information about individual mosaics so just sit back and admire how Romans decorated their homes 2000 years ago.
















































This is the faun from the House of the faun as I mentioned in my previous post and all the following four mosaics are also from that villa.
















19 comments:

  1. Just amazing what they could do 2000 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you persevered with getting into the museum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing what they could produce in art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excelente trabalho e boas fotografias.
    Um abraço e bom fim de semana.
    http://andarilharar.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was staying in Naples but unfortunately never wet to the Museum, looks like I missed seeing some stunning mosaics

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I'm glad you were persistent and kept trying. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. and five hundred years later art was back in its infancy. What would the world have been like if the Roman civil wars never took place? If the east never separated from the west? If the Mediterranean peoples embraced the German tribes instead of warring with them? sigh

    ReplyDelete
  8. They were good at perspective back then. Amazing to see these ancient mosaics looking so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those mosaics are amazing! Glad you persevered and finally got to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been to both Ercolano and Pompeii and thought it was amazing what was actually preserved through the ages. I love mosaics and would love to have one in my own home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful mosaics and nice reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the mosacica are amazing. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful artwork. So much to look at. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The mosaics are so beautiful and so incredibly detailed. It's even more impressive when I remember how old they are.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The mosaics are extraordinary. How have they kept so well for so long (rhetorical).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice reflections! That looks like a wonderful museum.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The mosaics are so intricate and beautiful, wonderful depictions of the ordinary and the imagined. I love the roosters. I'm wondering if they were intact after the volcano or if they had to be reassembled. If so, what a task that was!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Boggles the mind that they could do that beautiful work so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Isn't that amazing how they lived 2000 years ago and how far their culture was, while we were still running in fur clothes through the woods !

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.