Monday 30 November 2015

Trinity House

This is Trinity House.
It is home to the  General Lighthouse Authority which is responsible for the safe navigation of shipping around the waters of the UK from small dinghies to supertankers.Trinity House was granted a Royal Charter by Henry VIII in 1514.

The building is in Trinity Square which overlooks the Tower of London. As the plaque shows this is the third Trinity House.

                                     
I was able to have a look inside the building during Open House weekend in September

                                                                  



                                                


                                                                       

This bell is from the Royal Yacht Britannia which was decommissioned about 14 years ago.
                                                
This meeting  room with its painted ceiling was beautiful.


                                               

The next room had two cut glass chandeliers which sparkled as the light reflected off them.
                                                                       



Also in this room  were wonderful stained glass and engraved windows.


                                           



                                                                      
These engravings from the 16th and 17th cent were rearranged when the window was repaired in 1829.



Sharing with Our World Tuesday



29 comments:

  1. Hello, what a wonderful tour. I like the stained glass and the beautiful chandelier. It is a beautiful building. Have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhow nice you got to see the inside. And so we got to see the inside! I walked all around it last time I was in London and wondered what the inside was like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart thinking to remove the windows to a safe place during the war!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another really beautiful place. The antiquity that exists in London never ceases to amaze me, and the extent to which people have gone to preserve these treasures. Thank you for another fine journey. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photography of a fascinating place ~ Love the bell and the stain glass ~

    Wishing you a magical week,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you talked tough to Talk Talk. Good to see you up and running with more of your illuminating visits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you talked tough to Talk Talk. Good to see you up and running with more of your illuminating visits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you photograph the intimate details of the historic buildings you visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That must be very close to where we stayed when we were in London. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another very interesting post. The stained glass is especially beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful art work on display here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fascinating place, and such a history.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all the historical info. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pieces in this place.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh that bench, I could easily imagine that in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow...wow, wow!!! Would I EVER love going through this on a tour. Thank you for such a great array of photos and wonderful commentary. One of my favorite subjects in English History is Henry VIII.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a treat being able to visit inside. I'll take that chandelier please! A beautiful building indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful tour ... Those windows are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Nice collection of the Trinity House's photos. I always feel weight of the history from your posts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Nice collection of the Trinity House's photos. I always feel weight of the history from your posts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I thought I had already seen a lot of London but you surprise me with new things all the time !

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a treat to go inside. The history is so interesting especially about the windows.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always love the idea that in the middle of a war people were saying "I think we need to protect these windows" - I suspect there were a few other things on their minds as well.

    If I tried to climb Balls Pyramid, I think my mind would be writing a cheque that my body could not cash!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love to visit places like that

    ReplyDelete
  26. The painted ceiling in the "meeting room" is magnificent as is that lovely shiny bell from Britannia.

    ReplyDelete
  27. A very nice series! It's always a pleasure to visit your website and to watch your great work!

    Greetings from the Netherlands,
    Gert Jan
    www.gertjanhermus.nl

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.